Restore CD does not find network drives

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by paulpegg, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulpegg

paulpegg Registered Member

I am replacing the HD in my notebook with a bigger one. I installed Paragon Backup and Recover 10.1 Free and created a 43GB backup image to a network hard drive. I created a Recovery CD, set the BIOS to boot from the CD, booted and attempted to restore from the network drive to the new drive. The Network Configurator does not find the network drive and I cannot get any further in this effort.

(There is only one drive position in this notebook and a different product rendered my USB drive inoperable.)

What step have I missed?

Thanks,

Paul

2. paulpegg

MORE: I found PEBuilder and the procedure to create a Paragon plug-in. Everything worked except the network storage is on a win7 system and it will not grant access to the files. GRRR!

There must be a place to embed the id and pw for network logins. Any thoughts?

Thanks

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The network login is certainly there for the BartPE, WinPE and Linux network config.

4. paulpegg

Yes, but it does not login in to the network successfully. The network drives do not appear in any of the lists of places to find the archive, only the local drives.

I tried logging in using administrator id and pw to no avail.

5. paulpegg

Further to this - The network does connect and I can see the systems attached to the workgroup, but I cannot open any of them to designate a drive to map to. I logged in as Administrator but still cannot map a drive.

6. Paragon_Tommy

Are you able to see the shared folders if you browse within the Workgroup?

Make sure the folder where the archives are sitting are shared to everyone. To test, go to another computer, open RUN, and see if you can browse using the UNC path. For instance \\ComputerName\SharedFolder

Seems to me there's a problem with permissions or lack of network sharing.

7. paulpegg

No, I cannot see the folders within the network drives. All sharing is setup throughout the network (4 computers)and all shares are seen on all the other systems. The notebook that I am working on can see all the folders and files when booted from the original drive, but not when booted from the BartPE CD.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Paragon_Tommy

If the permissions and shared folders are setup correctly and accessible from the other computers, it's likely that the network card isn't natively supported by the BartPE.

Go to the network card manufacturer's website and download the XP/2003 driver. Extract into BartPE Driver's folder. For example: C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net, and rebuild the BartPE CD.

Unfortunately, the Linux CD provided with the free edition will not support any additional devices.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. paulpegg

I downloaded the driver and installed it as you suggested. This caused pebuilder to throw 4 errors that it could not find the files, even though they are in the places shown in the error message.

I am sorry to say that I have given up on this effort. I took the drives to a friend who runs a tech service and he will Ghost the drives in a system set up with enough ide slots to do a drive to drive restore. Thanks for your help with this problem.

Best,

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.