Restore Browser finds SOME systems...?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KennethS, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

I just booted my True Image CD, and attempted to restore an image.

When I clicked in the browser Computers Near Me, then our Workgroup appeared, then all 6 of our systems displayed properly by name.

All 6 had a "+" next to their name, but when I clicked on the "+" different things happened with different machines.

On some systems, I was asked for User Name and Password and when I entered that information, I could browse.

On other systems, when I clicked the "+", it vanished, but there was no request for User Name and Password, and I could not browse. If I attempted to drop down the filename field, nothing appeared. If I entered the full path to the image file, I could not open it.

The machine that had the image that I wished to restore was one that I could not browse. (Yes, I can browse it when I am not using the TI browser.)

Also:

That machine is named SYS7. After trying to browse it without success, I noticed that a new machine name appeared in the list: "~SYS7." When I attempted to browse that, I was asked for User Name and Password, but when I entered the proper information for SYS7 and clicked OK, it just asked me again.

And finally, all of our machines have exactly the same security settings, all are Win 2000 systems, and all have an administrator account in my name with the same password.

Thanks for any help on this,

Kenneth

2. KennethS

Hello All,

I wrote to Acronis Support about my browsing problem and received the automated response. Among other things, it asked that I install the latest version of TI.

I did, and to my surprise, the browse problem was corrected...

All is well that ends well,

Kenneth

3. KennethS

Hello again,

It seems that I clicked too soon...

I booted from the CD generated by the latest build and indeed, was able to browse my complete LAN. With that, I thought that my problem was solved.

Then, a day later, I needed to restore an image, booted from the new, that is, latest build CD, and, as before, could not browse the whole LAN. I could browse to some systems and not to others. The "good" systems asked for Username and PW, but the other systems asked for nothing, and would not open to the attempt to browse.

Of course, the image I needed was on one of the systems that I could not browse.

I would welcome any help on this,

Kenneth

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please collect the following information?

- Create Linux system information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Find the full version name and build number as it is shown here;

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information for the PC your image resides on, as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please also do the following:

- Boot from the Acronis True Image rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and wait for # prompt to appear.

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt file from the diskette.

Send all the collected files and information to support@acronis.com along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you compare the systems that you can successfully browse to and those that you can't, do both have the same folders shared the same way. Since you stated that all systems are Win2K (same Service Pack?) and have the same user name and password for an administrator account, I can't think of any other problem except how the folders are shared other than firewall software, but you didn't mention any firewall was in use.

6. KennethS

Hi John,

The systems that I can sucsessfully browse and those that I cannot do NOT have the same files and folders: They are different systems.

They all have full share and I am an administrator on all systems.

Also, this is an intermittent problem...

There are times that I can successfully browse all systems, and times that I cannot.

Thanks,
    Kenneth

7. KennethS

Hello Alexey,

I was just preparing to do the diagnostic steps you suggested when I found something that may be a work-around...

I was on the local machine, and attempted to browse the remote machine (the one with the images that I might wish to restore) from within Windows. As I expected, all of the *.tib files displayed.

I then booted from the CD, and could not browse the same remote location (though I could browse other systems.)

I then booted without the CD, went back into Windows, and was able to browse to the images once again.

Then, I decided to RE-BOOT the remote machine.

After doing that re-boot, I booted the local machine from the CD, and was able to browse to the images properly.

I will experiment further, but it appears that re-booting the machine that holds the images solves the problem.

Might you have any suggestion about why this might be true?

Very sincere thanks for any further help on this,

Kenneth

8. KennethS

Hi Alexey & All,

I find myself rather frustrated with all of this...

As you know, I have a work-around: If I reboot the remote machine, I can browse to it from the TI8 CD, but after some time, the attempt to browse to that machine always fails.

Via email, Konstantin made the same diagnostic requests as you had in the previous post.

Because I knew that I could temporarily correct my problem, I decided to send two sets of the information requested, one set with the browse failing, and the other with the browse succeeding.

It took lots of my time...

I sent it off to Konstantin.

24 hours later (BTW, every response takes a minumum of 24 hours even if I respond moments after receiving an email and respond to request some modest clarification) I got yet another request from Konstantin:

He wanted me to turn off AV and firewall on the remote machine.

I responded by saying "No" because I had the very clear impression that those requests were completely unrelated to all the data I had sent the day prior. Beyond that, the remote system has no firewall, and all of our systems have identical AV protection and I can browse to all but one of the machines. In addition, were these firewall or AV related problems, re-booting would seem unlikely to help.

It seemed amazing to me that after he had received all the material I sent, he did not so much as mention it in making new requests.

I realized that this was our established pattern. A review of our many messages revealed that precisely this same thing had happened many times before.

I explained all this, and Konstantin responded today to tell me the now familiar:

"This issue has been forwarded to our development team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response."

Of course, standing on its own, that is perfectly reasonable, but the pattern, now absolutely clear, is not.

This has been going on for too long a time, and it would certainly appear that I should be in communication with the good people who are actually attempting to diagnose and correct the problem. They should tell me whatever insight they can derive from the material I send, and then, should they need it, they chould ask for something further.

In my view, it is only with that sort of process that we might actually get this matter resolved.

Please accept my thanks for any help you might provide,

Kenneth

9. Acronis Support

Hello Kenneth,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response and for the inconveniences.

Could you please tell us the case # of your request to our technical support team?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Fedotov

10. KennethS

Hello,

That case numer is 361121 and after exchanging perhaps 20 emails, I have hearn nothing in a week.

Thanks for any help in resolving this,

Kenneth

11. KennethS

Hi again,

That was to be "heard" nothing in a week...

Thanks,

Kenneth

12. Acronis Support

Hello Kenneth,

I have found your letter. Our Development (Linux) Team is working on your problem and Marian will contact you again as soon as she recieves the response from them.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

13. KennethS

Hi Irina,

I decided to try V9, and, to my regret, found that it has exactly the same browse problem as did V8.

I have let Marian know that, and we will see what we might do to correct the problem.

Thanks,
    Kenneth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.