Restore an image while in windows

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by writedom, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writedom

writedom Registered Member

Here is the scenario:

I create an image of hard disk.

The hard drive has a virus a week later and I want to restore the drive to it's original state.

I have two choices:
    1. Restore the computer while booted into windows.
    2. Restore computer with boot disk (Not booted into windows)

Am I wrong to think that a restore performed while running windows may not remove the virus? Especially since most viruses recreate themselves after they have been deleted or overwritten.

What are the facts?

Thanks

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Restoring the computer with an image(s) of all hard drive(s), their partition(s) and MBR(s) from the Acronis bootable rescue CD will indeed restore things to their original state.

Doing the same from within Windows -- who knows what will happen ? It may or may not work. I would never restore my Windows partition from within Windows no matter what the software manufacturer says, anyways.

Those are the facts as I know them.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The fact is that a normal restore is not made while running Windows. You can enter the data in Windows but TI cannot restore the system partition from within Windows so after you enter the data it will reboot and the data concerning the restore will be passed to the Linux version - same as the CD version.

If you are doing a Snap Restore then no idea of the risk but I would say it depends on where the virus is stored and how it operates.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And don't forget to verify your backup file before restoration. If you don't and your backup file is corrupted, your previous system partition will be deleted and the supposed restoration will fail too.

5. writedom

writedom Registered Member

Thanks for the responses,

That's exactly what I thought.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello seekforever,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

I would like to confirm the seekforever reply. It is actually does not matter if you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or you use Acronis True Image in Windows to restore the system partition. Windows does not allow you to run an application while this application completely rewrites the partition where Windows is installed. Therefore, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home will prompt you to reboot the computer into its standalone version to restore the system partition. Once the partition has been restored, you will be able to boot Windows in the usual way. In both cases all the data stored on the restored partition will be replaced by the image data.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.