restore after backup gives defragmented directories

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acuser, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acuser

acuser Registered Member

I did a backup of one of my "game" directories(using True Image Home 10) , and replaced it again. Prior to the backup process I defragmented the "game" partition (using PerfectDisk). After restoring the same directory again, some directories were defragmented, while I would expect the restored data to have the exact directory structure again (files located in the same order). Why is this not the case here as compared to cloning the entire disk? Is there another option if I want to avoid this, besides cloning the entire disk.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello acuser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I am sorry acuser, but I do not quite understood the actions you have performed.

If you could explain the above in more details. What was the directory structure before and after the restoration?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you delete the game directory after backing it up and then defragment the partition again? In that case, I'd expect the restored game directory to be unfragmented as long as it was written to a space on the partition large enough for the whole directory.

However, if the defragmentation left some open areas between defragmented files/folders, then it's possible that fragmentation could occur when the game directory was restored.

If you just restored the game directory without doing the above, I'd expect at least some fragmentation if even one bit of a file had changed or possibly without any changes as the order in which the files are written back would differ from the original order that they were created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.