Restore Acronis True Image problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by iggi, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iggi

iggi Registered Member

I have use Acronis True Image 7 to make HDD image of my NTFS partition on another NTFS partition and after that I've burned it on DVD (as DVD-ROM (UDF) with Nero).
    I have a problem with restoring that image even if I use(read) it from its copy on other HDD partition.
    I'm starting the Acronis True Image from Bootable rescue CD, start with Restoring image from DVD (or from a copy of same image on other partition), and after few minutes of restoring procedure it just stops and I get main meni dialog of the program.
    Please, can anyone help me with this problem, at least how can I save my images on DVD in future.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Version 7 is just a little bit old ... has it ever worked for you before? The general advice everyone would give is to upgrade to ver. 9 build 2323.

3. iggi

iggi Registered Member

thanks Chutsman for your help,

unfortunately this was my first time to use my HDD image from DVD, my last image I've use to keep on other partition, and it works fine all time when I need to use it, but now I've need to restore to a previous image (one "clear" image, with some basic programs instaled) which I've copy on DVD before, to free some space, ofcourse. And now I've found this problem. I've try again the same procedure, now with my last image, and it happens again, I can restore it from original partition, but it just stops few minutes after it strats restoring, if I use it from DVD copy.
    So I know that the new version is better than old one, but I hope that my old version is good enought for my needs, until now. It seems that I'll have to try it now.
    I wonder if you can save me some time: Have you try this procedure (restoring image from DVD), and does it works for sure?

Thanks a lot, again.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I do it from dvd's read from a dvd drive, not burner, but I make my tib files 650 mb instead of much larger files. Try this file size if you are still able. It works Ti7 as well.
    You may try upgrading the firmware of your optical drives for increased media compatability.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello iggi,

Worth mentioning that, when using Nero to copy the .tib files from your hard drive to DVD, you will have needed to set TI's manual split size to 2000MB for DVD-ROM (ISO) compilations or 4.3GB for DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations.

Make sure you have not chosen to create a multi-session disk and be aware that early versions of TI had problems with UDF 2, so make sure you set Nero's file system to either UDF 1.02 or 1.5.

I also strongly recommend that you set the burn speed to approximately half the maximum rated speed of your recorder or chosen brand of media, whichever is the lesser. This greatly reduces the likelyhood of a corrupt recording (one bad byte and your image is rendered useless).

Regards

6. iggi

iggi Registered Member

hi my friends, and thanks for your kindly help, I realy appreciate that,
    here is my last situation of my problem: I've try all your advices, and still nothing new, I've create new HDD Image, splited on 650MB, and I've verified it before burning it, and it works fine. I've use Nero to burn "No Multisession DVD-ROM(ISO) Compilation" on DVD RW media with all .tib files. When I try to verify it from DVD or even from its copy on HDD, it fails again.

I'm so confused what could be a problem, I thought that maybe it is in Nero, or in my DVD Recorder or DVD media, but if there was that kind of problems, I couldn't read/copy from my recorded DVD's to HDD.

I didn't mention this before, on the same DVD with previous WinXP HDD images I've 2 little HDD images (200-300MB) of my first partition with Win98 which is of course on FAT32, and I've verified them well from DVD. WinXP images are bigger but the largest is 1.9GB, so I hope that there can't be some problem with UDF ?!?

So I still wonder could be that my problem is in a use of NTFS to copy on DVD, maybe I need to do some configurations in Nero before burning NTFS image on DVD, or something like that...

Thanks a lot, again.
    Best regards to all.

7. Menorcaman

Hello again iggi,

Please advise the following:

- What type of DVD RW media did you use e.g. DVD+RW or DVD-RW
    - What is the maximum rated speed of the media e.g. x2, x4 or x6 etc
    - What is the maximum rated burn speed of you recorder for the type of media you are using
    - What burn speed did you set Nero to when burning the compilations

Regards

8. iggi

iggi Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,
    thanks tryng to help me

as I said, I've try to use all solutions that all of you have give me :)
    the last try I've done with this "parameters":
    used Nero 6.6.0.13, burned on NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A x16 (with basic firmware, I haven't upgrade its firmware) and DVD media: PHILIPS DVD-RW 1-4x.
    I've used "No Multisession DVD-ROM(ISO) Compilation" and burned with x2 speed (1/2 of its max. speed) and about "+/-", unfortunately I don't know, I can't read it from the DVD-CD. Before burning I've "full-erase rewritable disc". My ATI has 6 .tib files, with max size of ~682MB. I've drag and drop all .tib files and "burn" as always I use to burn with Nero...

I still use ATI-7.

thanks again,
    Regards.

9. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Try this
    1 Upgrade the firmware, if available. This can be very important for dvd media brand compatability.
    2 Download a free burning program called Deepburner. It is good, simple, and non memory resident.
    3 Disable the builtin win xp burning option. In some situations/programs,configurations it can conflict causing problems.
    4 Reboot machine disabling any Nero startup for Deepburner test.
    5 Make sure the dma mode of your burner matches it's fastest capability.
    6 Test your burner with other large data files, not just music or video files.
    7 As a last test, burn your tib files to dvd at the slowest burn speed and then drag and drop them back from the dvd to a hdrive and try a test restore.

You can also download and use a free program called DVDinfopro to test your burner and media.
    If you can make reliable tib files to you hdrive, then still using ti7 has no bearing on your problem with dvd.

10. Menorcaman

Thanks for the additional information. I can see nothing untoward that would cause the corruption. I believe you can rule out True Image as the source of the problem because you can verify the original .tib files on your HD alright prior to burning them to DVD. It therefore looks as if the problem is hardware related. Just a thought but is your NEC recorder connected to the same IDE cable as the HD that contains the orginal .tib file? If it is then it might be worth connecting it to the other IDE Controller port and seeing what happens.

Regards

11. iggi

iggi Registered Member

thanks a lot for advices

I believe too that the problem is in my hardware or in recording procedure, so that's why I'm still trying to use ATI-7.
    About the IDE Controller ports, that is OK, I hope soo, I have 40GB WD as Primary Master and 120GB Maxtor as Primary Slave, and NEC NR-7900A as Secondary Master and NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A as Secondary Slave.
    I'll try once again to find a solution in my recording procedure, and if not, I'll try ATI-9.

Thanks again for your kindly help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.