Restoration

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by andy_rose, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy_rose

andy_rose Registered Member

Hi everybody:)
    I am new here, and have a question regarding Restoration. I tried to search, but could not find what I want.
    Anyway, I read somewhere in here that the performance is really noticeable when deleting everything the program finds that is not completly deleted. Where is the option to delete it forever all it finds? I only have an option to restore by copying.

2. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Select others at the top of the window and there'll be an option to delete completely.

3. andy_rose

Duh, I am blind LOL. Thanx so much mate!!

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FWIW, the author of this fairly useful utility is named Brain Kato (Japan) if the info at SnapFiles download page are accurate. It gives a URL home page to the developer but it's BLANK. Shows also when the program was added (2003) along with users reviews.

I only ever used the delete completely feature and have not tried to recover with it, i use UndeletePlus for that and only to check whether the files have been erased so to speak as in file name records too, after using RESTORATION.

I'm surprised more is not been made much of this program untill recently. Likely because more users are finding it advantageous to privacy as well as for it's recovery ability? I dunno, i use it for performance and the privacy thing for me is just a bonus.

5. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I downloaded this little program and ran it.I ended up with quite the list of items!Can all of this be deleted?I've got files there from last year.:oops:

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

That would really depend on what they are, I personally would not advocate running about deleting files if you do not know what they are, and the fact that you have to ask suggests that you don't. Not being funny mate, I ran this program and also found quite a few files, but they don't amount to much disk space and since I don't really know what some of them are I just left them alone.

7. andy_rose

I just went with R-Wipe & clean. Works wonders! Recomended.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi rookieman :)

In a word, yes, and 100% safely. Why? Because that "quite the list of items" are files of all sorts (gifs,jpgs,txts,infs etc) which are already deleted. Let me repeat, when you run RESTORATION it lists for you "deleted files/folders" only.

I get a long list that requires at least 2 maybe 3 hours to clean everytime i dump restore points if i'm using System Restore or just the build-up of everyday session files i deleted plus what the system deletes also.

All RESTORATION does with "DELETE COMPLETELY" is delete already deleted files more thoroughly as well as removing the file name records too.

It cannot delete anything on your system thats not already been deleted and moved to the delete area of the system for redispersal/reclaiming of disc space.

9. tradetime

You hope
    As the captain of the Titanic said, "oh don't worry about that ice, it can't hurt us." ;)

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i've yet to read any user where it turned on them and deleted regular files, of any sort. It sure is been a space saver in this camp for a long time and is part of my daily routine after internet sessions, and does what it supposed to and that spells performance gain, and most users will take those wherever they safely can. ;)

11. tradetime

No worries mate, am only kidding, I have no doubt you are right, however if the files truely are deleted, then you are not reclaiming any disk space since the system already sees the space they occupy as free. Personally I am not so concerned with privacy that I have to erase every single file that is deleted from my computer, just certain selected sensitive files.
    As for performance gain this is always welcome at some point or other, though as a rule I generally try to keep a machine that is sustantially more powerful than my needs so I usually have quite a bit of slack there

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Don't take my word for it, :)
    all i can do is like anyone else and depend on another software program to confirm some results and/or whether or not notice a snappier system untill the pipes are plugged up again with file/system activity. :D

After i use RESTORATION's delete completely i turn to UndeletePlus to see if there are any results and usually theres not. But only takes a few nano-seconds from that point untill deleted files start to accummalate again thanks to Windows internal activity not to mention my own.

13. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Hi Easter,I've just downloaded UndeletePlus which is another interesting program.I ran a scan and it has a few things also.Perhaps I never read the Help files correctly but I do you use (clean drive) after the scan? I'll run those two programs later and see if I receives the results you say.Thanks for your info by the way.:D

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Your Welcome. Hope you find something useful from it. And sorry i didn't say earlier to andy_rose WELCOME and thanks for being here.

Also thanks for this topic. It might not be the best software for this task since sliced bread but it has helped me to establish a regular routine of clearing away already deleted files since our default $M delete only changes the filename but the files still occupy space untill they are written over. I'm no expert in this field so maybe some more knowledgable folks would like to weigh in on this program and/or the benefits or not of fully deleting deleted files since they show up as recoverable in UndeletePlus.

From what i gather in Restoration via what brief details it offers is that it goes about removing vacant file clusters, file name records; and here is a couple of descriptions of just what those are about.....

Exerpt from Eraser's help file.

I've used UP to restore several files and that can be a good thing if you accidently delete something important to you thats still recoverable, but in my case the idea just doesn't sit easy when files/folders show up in either of these programs in a VERY long list of items as in the hundreds, of course most of those are made up of the browser temporary cache, but add where programs regularly write to TEMP areas and system logs and the like, and they begin to pile up fast.

Another Note: Depending on the number of passes you choose from in Eraser's (Latest Version) configurations or the ones that you feature custom design, those additional overwrites will show up as more files in Restoration also.

I finished "delete completely" and then proceeded to Eraser Wipe with a Custom preference then checked again with BOTH UndeletePlus & Restoration. Both programs b4 my test wipe each showed 14 files respectively and after a simple wipe of a single folder that number double to 24 i think (it was late Zzzz). At any rate this result indicates to me that adding passes will only create a longer list for Restoration to remove and therefore really unnecesary to go very far to those lengths, and is why a single pass is normally recommended for my needs where privacy is not so much an issue as performance compared with what some other users prefer.

I don't think that alone in and of itself is cause for marked degrading in performance of a PC but after finishing off these so-called deleted files with RESTORATION, i found enough of an improvement that i make it my own standard practice now before making an FD-ISR copy/update to archive.

Is any or some of this pattern really practical & useful? It would be nice to read other's views and take on this.

Where time permits i like to top this routine off periodically with a full defrag too. Anyway i still have to wonder why this freeware app is been little spoken of over time and not made more of in discussions like this, and why i thank the topic author for bringing it up at all. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  15. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Hi Easter. Thank you so much for the information that you have shared. I used R-Wipe and did a single pass a 0's. Then I ran Restoration. I can't even tell what was left but here is a screeenshot.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2i1pd2e&s=2

Then I deleted completely. So is there any reason that you can think of.....or any benefit...to using multiple passes? I mean if it is completely deleted and does not show up in Restoration, it no longer exists, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.