Resore problem with Macrium

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Antarctica, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hello,
    My harddrive gave up last week but luckily I had saved a full image with
    Macrium Reflect the day fefore on a Westen Digital external drive.

The problem now after installing a new drive, reinstall Windows, then Macrium Reflect, I cannot restore it anymore. Macrium does not detect any backup! Yet the backup had been tested fefore my harddrive change and it was working...

Any idea what's going on? thanks for help

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

First, do you still have the image on the external hard drive? If so, can you mount the image and explore it using the mount option in Macrium?

3. Antarctica

Yes the image is still there but I can not mount it in the option, it's like if Macrium does not "see it" or detect it...

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

5. Antarctica

Thanks, just tried it and no success either unfortunatly...

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Check the image file if someone has tempered with its extension. It should have a .mrimg extension.

Are you trying to detect the image from within windows or the Winpe environment or the linux based recovery environment?

If you had the bootbale recovery environment, you did not have to reinstall windows. You could have just restored your backup image to the new hard drive.

7. Antarctica

Thanks Raza0007 for stepping in. The image extension is correct. Now I tried both way, from within Windows and also with the Winpe environment. I did not think about the the bootable recovery, but I don't think this would have made any difference, I guess...

8. Raza0007

So, can you provide a little more info.

Can Macrium access your external hard drive?

So, when you go to the restore tab and click 'browse for an image to restore", go to the specific drive and point to the specific folder, the image does not show up?

I am assuming you are using Macrium 5.

9. Antarctica

Spot on Raza0007! Macrium can access my external drive, I click the restore tab then browse for a image but Macrium doesn't see it! and yes I am using version 5.

10. Raza0007

I am at a loss as what to suggest now. It may be that the image never got properly saved, something might have interrupted the image creation process.

You can try one thing, copy the image to your local drive and see if Macrium can see it from there. If it is an image of the entire local drive then you can not restore it, as long as it sits in the local drive, but by doing this you can at least tell whether being on the external hard drive is causing the problem.

Have you ever restored an image using Macrium before? and from the same external drive?

11. Antarctica

I did check the image after completion, so I am sure the image was saved complete. And yes, I have restored image before from the same drive.

I tried your trick to copy the image and I know the problem it's because the image is on a external drive and for some reason Macrium doesn't see it...

12. tgell

tgell Registered Member

So it does see it if you move the file to the OS hard drive? What if you create a copy of the image file and place it in the root of the external hard drive? Does Macrium see it then?

13. Antarctica

Thanks everyone for your help, but I finally gave up. I feel that I already spent too much energy on that. I will re-install all my Softwares from scratch. Lucklly I had made a copy of my files with Windows backup, so I did not loose all my work.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.