resize PERC-RAID partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by rpeterslll, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeterslll

rpeterslll Registered Member

I have Partition Manager 9.0 Server edition and need to resize a partition on a RAID Array. I installed 2 more drives into the RAID array and the free space is showing up in my Partition Manager 9. I want to resize my system partition and the second data partition, but its not displaying the available space to resize the partitions to when I try to adjust them.

I am running a windows 2003 server w/ SP2, Partition Manager 9
    Dell Perc 4 RAID controller.

Will Partition Manager 9 Server do this? If so whats the trick to adjust these partitions?

Thanks,
    Rob

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Rpeterslll,

I'm guessing the unallocated space is at the end of the hard drive after you added to your array. It might look like this:

[Utility][System][Data][Unallocated]

To add available space to any partition, the unallocated space need to be adjacent to the partition. If you were going to add all the space to your data partition, that's not a problem; just simply right click your data partition and extend it to the far right to consume the available space.

If you are adding it to your system partition, the data partition needs to be shift down to make the available space adjacent to the system partition.

So however you want to allocate your free space and to which partition, I would recommend doing it to the Data partition first, then shift the data partition down, and moving the rest of the available space next to the system partition, and then changing the system partition size.

One more thing to point out. If your data partition is inside an "extended partition", you have to treat this as if it's an additional partition outside of your data partition.

Depending which route you need, some of the following should clarify:

1. Adding the entire available space to the data partition that has no extended partition: right click data partition and stretch it to consume all available space.

2. Adding the entire available space to the data partition that HAS an extended partition: right click extended partition in the "partition list" tab, click move/resize partition, stretch the extended partition to move the unallocated space inside the extended partition. Right click data partition and stretch to consume available space.

3. Adding the entire available space to the system partition without an extended partition: right-click Data partition, and shift the partition down to the far right by placing the cursor in the middle to display a four way direction. Once the available space is adjacent to the system partition, resize the system partition.

4. Adding the entire available space to the system partition WITH an extended partition around the data partition: right click the extended partition, stretch to move the available space inside the extended partition. Right click data partition, and "shift" the data partition down, moving the available space to the front of the extended partition. To shift, put your mouse cursor over in the middle of the partition to get a four way cursor. Right-click extended partition, move/resize, shrink the extended partition from the left side to move the available space outside of the extended partition, and finally right-click system partition and move/resize. Stretch system partition to consume the available space.

5. Finally if you are adding space to both the data and the system partition: add the predetermined space to your data partition, shift the data partition and add the remaining space to the system partition.

All of the instructions are performed from the Full Scale Launcher screen. We recommend you perform one step at a time, apply changes, then perform another step.

If none of the scenario fits what you need, reply back with your setup and what you want to do.

Regards,

-Tommy

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Also want to point out that because it's a RAID, we want to avoid complication and not use the recovery disk unless we have to. And any of the operations above can be performed in Windows but the Data drive will not be accessible while it's being moved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.