Rescue Media for ICH9R

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by samene, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samene

samene Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P motherboard and am using the Intel ICH9R RAID controller in RAID-0 mode. I have True Image 9 and want to make an emergency boot disk for rapid recovery but the boot loader doesn't load.

Has anyone managed to get any of the following to boot with this controller?
    1) Full WindowsXP Pro image on DVD or CD
    2) Bart/PE CD
    3) Acronis Rescue Media CD

My version of TI is 9 OEM (not updated as I cannot find any updates). This would seem to impact option (3) above only but maybe not even that. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I wouldn't think that a version that old would work with that chipset and you'd probably have to buy a newer version. I'm not sure about 10 but 11 is supposed to work with that chipset -- although 11 has probs with chipsets prior versions didn't so you'd have to test it. Trial version is free.

3. LOOX

LOOX Registered Member

I can't get the rescue media to work when my chipset is in that mode either. Same chipset.

I, and at least one other, have posted about this already and there may be hope in the form of a customized recovery disk that Acronis may link us to.

Until then, here is my work around. You have to be fast!

First, keep the disks configured as they are now, I am guessing SATA with ACHI or RAID mode. Make back-ups as you normally would. Then, in the case where you need your rescue disks, enter your BIOS and change your SATA controller to IDE mode. Put your recovery disks in BEFORE exiting the BIOS. save and exit.
    You will automatically boot into the CD and using full mode should be good enough to see everything you would need to do your backup. So, go ahead and finish what you need to.

Here is where it gets tricky. Your drives are now in IDE emulation mode. Your OS, if that is what you restored, is all set up to operate in ACHI/RAID mode. IF your OS were to catch on to what you did in the BIOS, it would not be happy. So, quickly, when you exit the recovery CD enviornment, get the disk out of the disk drive and be prepared to hit DEL, F2 or whatever key to get back into the BIOS BEFORE the OS has a chance to load.

Once back in BIOS, undo what you did before, namely, change your SATA from IDE emulation BACK to ACHI (or RAID). Save changes and exit.

If all goes well, you will be able to boot into your backup and your OS will be none the wiser.

4. samene

samene Registered Member

"I wouldn't think that a version that old would work with that chipset and you'd probably have to buy a newer version."

If I build a bootable DVD with WindowsXP on it (something I have had no luck doing, btw) then I would think the version of True Image should not come into play. The version should only really matter if I am expecting True Image to build the whole bootable disk for me (which I'm not). I am not, however, above hoping that the program's ISO output might be a foundation for manual edits.

"Until then, here is my work around. You have to be fast!"

Thank you but I can see myself kicking my computer through a window the first time I really need this to work and my timing is imperfect. I am hoping for a more straightforward solution.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello samene,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that images created by Acronis True Image are simply archive files, and aren't bootable by themselves.
    As noted by shieber, Acronis True Image 9 is very old version. We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please notice that as you already own a version of Acronis True Image you can purchase an upgrade instead of full version of Acronis True Image 11 Home. Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade (or another full version) of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.