Rescue Disk?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by JerryM, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have never used a rescue disk such as the SAS Portable.
    I assume that the SAS exe is on the disk, but how do I use it?
    I am also downloading Kaspersky rescue disk.
    Can I put both on one CD?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

SAS Portable is a single exe file (not a bootable CD) which has been given a random file name so that Malware should not attempt to kill it when you execute the exe. SAS Portable's Malware signatures are up-to-date at the time of the download.

To use SAS, you copy the single exe file from your media to the infected PC. It is highly recommended that you do this in Windows "Safe Mode". Then you execute the SAS Portable exe and follow the directions.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk is an ISO image which is burned to a blank CD-R to make a bootable CD. You have to burn the downloaded ISO image to disk as an "image" not as a "file". You then boot the CD to load the Kaspersky Rescue CD's Linux based operating system. Kaspersky's malware signatures are usually several months out of date, so you need to update these signatures before doing the scan.

You cannot put both on the same CD since one is an ISO image which must be burned to the CD as an image in order for the CD to be bootable.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thank you very much. I downloaded an Avira rescue disk program. Is it handled the same as SAS?
    Regards,
    Jerry

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.