Rescue disk questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gthorley, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gthorley

gthorley Registered Member

First I had real difficulty creating a rescue disk. I would press proceed and it would kick out the disk (cd-RW) and give me an error message. Tried on my DVD/cd brner and CD burner both the same. After doing a search and some reading I came accross a thread where someone suggested leaving the tray open with the blank media in it and then press proceed. Voila this worked, the tray closed and it wrote the file. Don't know whether this is a problem with some computers or what.

Question, I was presented with a screen to load Roxio UDF reader or something. I did. Can this cause problems with other programs? My video camera already loaded a UDF (DVD-Ram) driver and I hope I don't get a conflict.

The system I am testing this on is a dual boot of 98SE and XP. I placed TI under XP. When I tried out the bootable rescue disk it did not self boot. I had to press f8 and direct it to boot the drive. My XP disc boots up directly and I would have thought this disk would do the same?

The screen from the rescue disk had a number of things and I found it confusing with the secure zone and other items. The first box on the top had a restore. Is that what I would do click restore and then find the image files. I had 3 files. If I wanted to do a full restore of the partition mirrored would I click on the first one and then start? I thought I read a thread where someone said you start with the last file created. What if I wanted just certain folders from the mirror. How do you see and recover them?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, it only happens with some computers. Fortunately, the solution is simple although it isn't obvious.
    This obviously isn't part of TI. Your Roxio CD/DVD burning software is asking this. To create a bootable Recovery CD, you do not want to use USF in any way, so cancel that screen.
    I agree, but boot CDs vary. If there's any possibility that you enabled UDF, make another Recovery CD. Now that you know how to do it, it won't take long, and it's good to have a spare.
    The screen is very similar to the Windows screen for TI. Yes, double click Restore and then browse to the location of the image you want to restore. If the image is on multiple CDs or DVDs, put the last one in and click Proceed.
    That's the Explore function and only works under Windows. In addition, all parts of the image have to be available at the same time, so they must be on one disk. If the image is split across two or more CDs or DVDs, you must first copy all the image disks back to the hard drive before you can Explore the image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.