Rescue CD making image stops at locking partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HomeBoy, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeBoy

HomeBoy Registered Member

Hi. I have Acronis True Image Home 10.0, build 4942.

I built a bootable rescue media and then tried to use it to create an image of my C: drive. My C: drive is a WD1200JB (see http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=27) formatted in Windows XP Pro as an NTFS drive. There is only one partition.

So I booted from the CD and attempted to create the disk image. It started but then sat there overnight and didn't do anything. I canceled the process and looked at the log and the last item was Locking Partition C:.

I read the following thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172117 and decided to see if newer drivers would help.

I downloaded the latest drivers and created another rescue CD, but it did the same thing.

I have used Acronis True Image 8 on two other PCs and never had this problem. With my new PC, I cannot seem to create the image using the rescue media.

Please help!

Thanks!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. What sort of computer are you trying to image?

2. Where are you trying to save the image?

3. Have you tried creating a Full Recovery CD witout the Safe feature?

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Can you create the image running TI from within Windows?
    If so, then the recovery media would appear to be missing some driver for your system.

4. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

I saw also that Acronis seemed blocked with "Dynamic Partitions".

Acronis doesnt support imaging dynamic partitions/volumes.

Good luck,

Jaycee

5. jmk94903

Excellent point Howard. And if it works in Windows, then a Barts PE boot disk should work in place of the TI Recovery CD.

6. HomeBoy

Yes, I can. There was no problem creating the disk image using TI from within Windows.

Key question: Is there any significant difference between an image created this way and one created with rescue media? If the drive crashed, would I be able to use the image I just created to recreate my drive's contents, including the operating system?

Thanks!

7. jmk94903

If you can't boot from the Recovery CD and use it, how would you restore the image?

I asked three questions. It would really help if you ansered them.

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

No, there shouldn't be any difference in the end result (although you certainly are experiencing one!). However, creating an image using Windows GUI is usually quite a bit faster because it uses Windows drivers rather than Linux drivers, so I always create my disk-images via Windows. The answer is Yes to your 2nd question.

Of course it's extremely important to have an Emergency Boot CD for disaster recovery, so on the possibility that your 1st Boot CD isn't 100% (it happens), do burn another Boot CD and try creating another disk-image. If it fails again, then your best bet is creating a BartPE, as that will use your Windows drivers.

Good luck, ~pv

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

There is a difference between bbacking up in windoze and using the rescue CD for backup.

When backing up in windows, TI has to make a snapshot of each drive, while some files may be running, or open. So you get a backup at a fixed point in time, and things may change by the time the backup is finished, but those changes are not captured in the snapshot.

When backing up from the rescur CD. No files are open or running, so you get a different result.

In practice, this difference will not, in geberal, matter, but in special circumstances it could.

One way to think of a backup in Windows is the following.

If a system crashes, or you manually reboot, the files are in a state of flux, but the system will reboot. THink of the backup done in Windows as the state of the system just before you manuaqlly reboot. It should work.

If you restore from a backup made using the rescue CD, you are assured that nothing has changed.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HomeBoy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. HomeBoy

Thanks very much! That worked like a charm! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.