Rescue CD & External Enclosures/Drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Fizzbin, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fizzbin

Fizzbin Registered Member

OK, I know there are already a few (maybe several) threads dealing with commercial external hard drives, external HD enclosures, etc. that work with TI 8.0. While naturally it's good to know that you can successfully image, verify, etc. using a particular piece of hardware, most of the posts in these threads don't address the issue of the rescue CD and whether or not you can boot from it and access your external drive. (I realize this has been discussed to some degree, though.)

At any rate, the information that I'm trying to nail down is this: If you have an external HD and/or enclosure, are you able to access it when booting from your recovery CD?

From what I can tell from reading the various threads, the rescue CD will only work with IDE drives in USB enclosures (or a pre-assembled equivalent, like Maxtor's One Touch), is that correct? If you have a drive connected via FireWire, you can't boot from your rescue CD, right? If so, is that because Acronis TI doesn't yet support the Oxford 911/922 chipsets? (These are the chipsets I see used most often in FireWire drives and enclosures.)

I've got an external SATA enclosure (internal & external interfaces are both SATA) using a Prolific chipset, and my rescue CD doesn't work with it. (Pressing F11 doesn't get me to the command line, either; my system freezes.) I didn't really expect it to work, but it's a great external HD/enclosure otherwise. As long as I can get in to XP, True Image works fine. But this setup obviously isn't good in case of disaster, i.e. if I couldn't get into Windows.

Also, if anyone from Acronis support is reading this, do you know when TI might support some other chipsets so our rescue CDs will work with more external devices?

Thanks!

Edit: I meant to say that I realize the recovery CD boots you into a Linux environment.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fizzbin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The Full version of Acronis Bootable Media supports all devices that have open source Linux drivers. You can visit the Linux web site to receive the list of supported hardware. Acronis Bootable Media is constantly updated for latest version of drivers.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Fizzbin

Irina,
    Thanks very much for your reply!

I would like to hear from some people who own external hard drives that connect via 1394a or 1394b, especially some who have posted in other threads and have said something to the effect that TI works "in every respect." That gives the impression that you can boot from your recovery CD as well, but then Hoopster noted that with his Macally enclosure, he could only boot via USB 2.0, not FireWire with his rescue CD.

Thanks for your help! :)

4. Fizzbin

Irina,
    By the way, there are several sites that list supported hardware, some devoted to a particular Linux distribution, others more general. Do you have a particular site in mind? If so, could you please provide a link?

Thank you!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.