Rescue CD Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alwill, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

With my previous Win 98se machine running TI 6 I had no problems with booting from the rescue CD. I now have a new computer with XP SP2 on which I am trialling TI 8 (826) and so far have encountered only one problem and that is with the full version of the rescue CD failing to boot (a serious deficiency).

On occasions I have been able to get things working by doing the "quiet acpi=
    off noapic" work around; however, this instruction does not "save" and the
    F11 key entry procedure does not always work to enable the instruction to be
    repeated. Consequently, following the advice in this Forum’s “Please Read Before You Post” sticky thread, to contact Acronis Support if it was desired “to automate the process of adding these special parameters”, I emailed Support only to be told that it was “impossible to perform with Acronis True Image Rescue Media, however this feature will probably be implemented in further versions of Acronis True Image program.” (Support reference # 237271).

These apparent conflicting advices from Acronis kind of puts me up that proverbial creek without a paddle leaving me with a real dilemma. After having the experience of earlier using V6 I would hate to be without the protection of True Image but then if the V8 program is not accessible when it is needed in critical situations because of the failure of the rescue CD to boot, I have to question its reliability and thus its usefulness.

I sure would be grateful for any advice as to a solution.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Alwill - can't you use TI 6.0 to paddle up the creek? Or does it have problems with your new hardware?

Any idea why TI 8.0 Rescue CD will not boot? What motherboard do you have? On-board and in-slot controllers? Any USB / Firewire devices attached?

3. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Thank you MiniMax for responding.

Re your first query, I was under the impression that TI 6 was not compatible with XP and, in any case, I was keen to avail myself of the improvements Acronis had effected in the later versions, particularly the incremental imaging feature.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Rescue CD will boot if I can get get into the Linux kernel to modify the command line. I have found this to be a hit and miss process, sometimes I an able to gain access, other times I can’t; in any case in view of what was stated in the sticky thread (“automate the process of adding these special parameters”) it seemed that this offered a fix whereby the CD would boot without any further need to manually modify the command line.

My motherboard is an octek 865G/GV/PE-87x2 with I believe on-board and in-slot controllers. There are no USB/Firewire devices attached.

4. MiniMax

Works fine for me :) (see .sig). I make incremental file backups with Retrospect.
    Sorry, I don't know that board. Sounds like an Intel board?
    In what ways does it fail? Black screen? No devices? Mouse not working?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Dear Alwill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I have answered to you via e-mail. Please check your inbox. Once you send us your serial number we will immediately help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Sorry for not getting back earlier but living Downunder in Oz I am knocking out the zzzzzs while most of the activity is taking place in the Forum.

Yes MiniMax, octek is an Intel board and I guess I have should have included this info in my earlier reply. As regards how the CD problem manifests itself, whenever the F11 key fails to access the Linux kernel, a "Boot failed, press any key" message appears but pressing 'any key' gets no response-- I then have to hit the Reset button, extract the CD and all is back to normal. I appreciate your taking the time to try and assist.

Many thanks Ilya, I have received your email and will forward the serial number to you when I have finished putting the trial version through its hoops and purchase the full version.

7. MiniMax

And how about a TI 6.0 Rescue CD? Will that boot?

8. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Something I hadn't even considered as I understood that you required fresh rescue media with upgrades to new TI versions and that it was even advisable with upgrades to new builds within individual versions.

Anyway after reading your post I gave it a shot but the reboot just parked itself at the "Starting Acronis Loader" point and wouldn't budge -- another Reset necessary.

Thanks all the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.