Rescue CD boot--Do you see an external drive listed?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by captainsky, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainsky

captainsky Registered Member

Hi,

Quick question, as I have a longer post already up.
    I just read someone's older post about booting from the rescue CD, and it said something about not being able to access the external drive that was listed.

If I booted from a rescue CD and selected a full version restore but didn't see any options as to where the image was, does that mean that the current "Acronis, please wait..." image on my computer is just wasting my time, because it really isn't doing anything. Like it's a default screen. I am thinking that because I saw once before and nothing happened while it was up.

Is Xpilot around tonight, or this morning, really? If not, any other good feedback is good. Thanks.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Good morning captainsky,

Can you just confirm that your external USB HD was connected and powered up before you booted from the Acronis rescue CD?

Regards

3. captainsky

Yes, the external drive was connected via 1.0 USB port. As for the power switch on the drive, it was definitely on, because the first time I switched it on during boot up and I thought that it might be a problem, so I shut down hard and rebooted with everything lit up like a christmas tree.

So, it sounds as though are saying that I should have seen the external drive when I booted, is that right? I mean wouldn't I have to direct the Acronis to the specific location of the image? It's not smart enough to find it alone is it?

Sky

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello captainsky,

Whenever you want to validate or restore a backup (.tib) file, you have to find it in the tree on the left panel of the pertinent TI screen and select it, be it stored on internal or external HD.

If your external drive is not seen from rescue environment (the external not showing up in the tree), try the following workarounds in connection with booting from Rescue CD:

- apply the "quiet acpi=off noapic" parameter as detailed in the Please Read Before You Post sticky;
    - disconnect every unneeded USB device;
    - don't use an USB hub, plug the external direcly, possibly to a rear panel port (on a desktop PC);
    - connect and power up the external drive before booting from Rescue CD (or after the CD drive starts if the external drive is set on top of the boot order list);
    - wait for a minute on the selection screen to give time to the external to initialize before proceeding;
    - select the Safe version of TI instead of the first choice Full.

You should expect very long processing times when connected over 1.0 USB.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The next screen after you have selected the full version is normally a black screen which has the message "Loading please wait" with a square box cursor flashing.

This is the stage where the full version which you selected on the previous screen is loading. How long this takes is a function of the speed of your computer and its CD drive. My CD drive is 52X one and the loading time is only a few seconds. I have no knowledge how long it would take on a really slow CD drive but I suppose two or three minutes would be possible. If the cursor is flashing and or the CD drive is showing signs of life hang on in there! If your coffee gets cold then there is a CD problem to investigate.
    When the loading has completed the next screen is "Pick a Task" and there you can get down to business.

Xpilot

6. captainsky

Dear Xpilot,
    It has been 10+ hours and I still see the black screen and Acronis, please wait...image. So i guess that something is not working properly.

How come if it is not working the Acronis program doesn't indicate that is a problem. A "please wait" sign is very misleading.

You originally suggested that I use the rescue CD to transfer the image of my smaller drive to the new larger drive. Since this doesn't seem to be working for me, maybe you have another suggestion.

I already installed the OS on the new drive, perhaps, there is another way that I can access and restore the image from the external drive insttead of using the rescue CD that would be more effective? Or is using the rescue CD generally the best way to restore an image.

I am very frustrated and am ready to simply build the opersting system and software up from scratch just so I can move ahead. The only problem with that method is that I never succeeded in restoring from an image, so I can depend on this system should a crisis arrive, which is the whole point of having the system, at least for me.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited, from Xpilot or any PowerUser.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There is something wrong with your bootable rescue CD. I suggest you create a new one as the next step.
    Open your CD drive drawer and place a blank CD/R(w) in it and leave the drawer open.
    Open the Ti program and select Create Bootable Rescue Media. On the selection screen make sure all the three selection boxes are ticked.
    Select the CD-RW drive. The ready screen will show the size as 45.86 MB.
    Press the proceed button and the CD drive will close the drawer and write the CD.

If the above does not get you going I suggest your re-download TI . Remove the current installation and start over.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.