Require some info about BitDefenderAV 2013 and KasperskyAV2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by VectorFool, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Running another Firewall with any of these two AVs is a very bad idea. I've tried almost every firewall out there and finally just purchase Bitdefender Internet Security as I didn't want any headaches or incompatibilities

2. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Did you try Comodo firewall with BDAV or KAV 2013?
    did you find out the cause for such incompatibility?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I used to have the same opinion as you. I absolutely hated their products till earlier this year. They released 2012, and things started changing on my PC. The protection got better, the bugs went away, the slowdown is much lesser now, the detection rate is good.....I don't know how they did it, I just know it works a lot better now on my PC than it did a year ago. It has, for now, replaced AVG as the protection on my main desktop PC (though I still have AVG on the laptop). Objectively, AVG's probably still better, but what cinched it for me was how I observed that my family was so comfortable with the product that they'd no longer call me and ask about an alert or a detection like they used to when AVG was still on this desktop PC.

I like it now, maybe because of that. But of course, your mileage may vary. And I respect that :)

I haven't used Norton in years; frankly, at the prices they sell in my country, I'm better off using other products available much cheaper :)

@VectorFool: I'd suggest you to try it out for yourself (Comodo + BD), no two PCs are the same you know - issues you encounter may not necessarily be the same as someone else's :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. VectorFool

I agree,
    i will take an image of my system drive and then continue with my trials with KAV 2013/BDAV 2013 with Comodo Firewall
    if anything goes wrong, then i will restore the image and get myself another Avira Premium 2013/ Emsisoft AntiMalware license

5. VectorFool

Had a question
    Bitdefender AV has "On access Scanning" and "Active Virus Control", what is the use of these two modules and their differences?
    What do these do?

and does BDAV have any HIPS/Behavior Blocker module? if so what is that?

6. Firecat

"Active Virus Control" is a proactive detection/behaviour blocking technology. "On-access scanning" is the normal real-time guard. Keep both enabled. :)

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think "Active Virus Control" is their behavior blocker.

8. VectorFool

If i want to use Comodo Defense+(HIPS), should i disable the HIPS component or anything else in Bitdefender AV 2013?

9. Firecat

I don't think you need to disable anything in BD AV+ for it to work with Comodo. HIPS and behaviour blocker are not the same; their designs are different.

10. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

I have used most of the firewalls (Including Comodo) but i have never seen anything better than Online Armor - Total Control Over whatever goes out or comes in !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    But i think it will be bit heavy to use with BD or Kasperky!!!

11. VectorFool

So here's what i did today
    1)Uninstalled Avira IS, Comodo FW, Emsisoft AntiMalware, Webroot Secure Anywhere. PC is without any 3rd party security now.
    2)Installed Bitdefender AntiVirus 2013 (trial), Updated definitions and engine.
    3)Installed Online Armor Premium (trial) and let it "learn" my processes.
    but strangely enough i couldn't open Google Chrome or any browser even if they had been whitelisted after "learning", nor could i install any other Browser, the processes didn't even start!
    4)Uninstalled Online Armor
    5)Installed Comodo Firewall and installed my old firewall profile and started "learning Mode" for both "defense+" and firewall.

BDAV 2013 and Comodo Firewall seem to be getting along famously ;)
    didn't change any config in BD this time, "real Time scan" and "Hips" both at default config
    seems like a stable setup to me, hope it lasts :p

12. Firecat

Good luck and I hope things turn out good!:thumb:

13. VectorFool

if i remember correctly, Bitdefender had an option to download and distribute updates over P2P(Bit-torrent) protocol which allowed faster updates.
    the users were given the option to enable it during installation.

is that feature still available in BDAV 2013?
    if yes, how do i enable it?

14. VectorFool

is it possible to run a full System Scan with

1)Highest Heuristic Settings
    2)Scan all Archives (no size Limit)
    3)Scan all files without skipping any

i want to run this scan just once in a week or so,

and also, is it possible to set the RealTime-Protection to Highest Heuristic?
    if so, how do i do it?

15. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

No, They removed it.
    Found this for you - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=36483&st=20&p=151918&#entry151918
    :thumb:

16. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

I will leave Heuristic on default for any av, as it might resort in false positives.
    :thumbd:

17. VectorFool

i understand the downside to it, but i still want to know if it can be done :)

18. VectorFool

A friend of mine wants to use Bitdefender AntiVirus Plus 2013, after hearing 'bout my great experience with it.
    He wants to download the Bitdefender Total Security 90 day trial which is available on Facebook and test it.
    However he wants to know that if the 90 day license that he gets with BDTS 2013 facebook trial can be used on the BD antivirus Plus 2013?

i.e.
    can BDTS 2013 license be used on BDAV 2013 license?
    He prefers to use Online Armor Firewall and wouldn't part with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.