RequestPolicy & NoScript overlaps!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I have found an overlapping between RequestPolicy and NoScript. The forbid meta redirections feature of NoScript appeared in some sites I visit. After installing RequestPolicy, I no longer get them instead I get RequestPolicy's redirect toolbar asking to allow, deny and more.

So I am feeling a little hesitant at using the two together now.

Best Wishes,
    ams963

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried using both.
    drove me nuts.

i noticed enough overlap that, for me, using just one of them is enough.

i use NoScript like a HIPS for javascript.
    my whitelist is almost empty.

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I warned you that you must have patience :D. You could wait for the version 1 of RequestPolicy, according to the author it has major improvements with usability and also with much more complex settings. Although it's still in alpha, it will be a long wait.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

me?
    i have the patience of a gnat! lol

i will certainly try RP when it comes out of Alpha/Beta.
    i'm a sucker for this kinda stuff. ;)

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I love NoScript and I am keeping it for good. My whitelist is always empty.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah I should have listened to you and should have been more steady in these things. I'll wait for version 1. I've removed RequestPolicy. That leaves some settings in 'about:config' though which was fortunately mentioned in the FAQ of requestpolicy.com I've reset those settings as suggested in the website.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You could also try to learn how to configure ABE in NoScript. It will give you the functionality in RequestPolicy. Although it's pretty much time consuming.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Honestly fellas, RP isn't so bad when you get used to it! o_O

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Yeah, but there is more to that. :D. I've posted a link in my other post there a pdf containing all the functions of ABE.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I was not talking about RP being too complicated and so the question of getting used to it is out of context. I was talking more about RP doing some of the same things NoScript does. In the official website of RP it was suggested and recommended to use RP with NoScript to reap the benefits of double layer maximum protection.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Where?

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

It's not only double layer. With RequestPolicy, you can "fine tune" your settings. For example, to use Facebook you need to whitelist it in NoScript. That means scripting will be available for facebook.com and ALL other sites. With RequestPolicy included, facebook.com scripts will only be allowed in facebook.com and not to other sites. ;)
    EDIT: -http://noscript.net/abe/abe_rules.pdf NOTE: The one I posted is in noscript.net not the actual pdf. Sorry about that :D

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

When suppose I visit hotmail and scripts are blocked by NoScript. Then I allow temporarily the ones I want to. If I write in and configure ABE it will be like Site .live.com .hotmail.com .wlxrs.com
    Accept from .live.com .hotmail.com .wlxrs.com
    Deny
    And then only .live.com .hotmail.com .wlxrs.com will be automatically allowed while other scripts in hotmail.com will not be.

So what's the difference? I mean I could always allow them temporarily by pointing my cursor on the NoScript icon, right?

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

That means that other third party contents will not be loaded. (Similar to RequestPolicy). I'm not actually an ABE expert, I only used the rules I've read in NoScript forums.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah but all the overlapping like meta redirections with NoScript I think I'm better off without RP.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Don't you mean "better of with NoScript? :D

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Third party contents are not loaded anyways unless I allow it to. From the example of the hotmail.com situation we can see that by configuring ABE to allow only .live.com .hotmail.com .wlxrs.com all other scripts from hotmail.com are blocked. But when we enter hotmail.com without configuring ABE, all contents are blocked unless hotmail.com is whitelisted. Then we can just temporarily allow .live.com .hotmail.com and .wlxrs.com one by one by moving the mouse cursor on the NoScript icon. So why take all the load of configuring Abe when you can just click them away. ;)

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. I've edited my post. I meant better off without RP. Anyways just got a shake from a slight earthquake. Holy smoke! Some of the neighbors are on the street now while I write away here in this thread. I must be going banana :D The earthquake was a magnitude of 5.0 on the Richter magnitude scale. It's source is in the Gansu province in China.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.