Replacing WinUtilities 10.44

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kyuzo, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyuzo

kyuzo Registered Member

The most recent update of WinUtilities has neutered many functions of the freeware utility. Now I must find a replacement. I have long admired the sensible postings on this site and I was wondering, do any of you use such utility programs, and if so what?

Thanks for any replies.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

TuneUp Utilities.

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

5. ellison64

It uses windows task scheduler rather than run registry keys ;)

6. treehouse786

no it does not, it might use task scheduler to carry out jobs but there are no processes running on windows startup hence no startup entries, i've been using it for a while

please state the name of the process which starts on bootup?

Attached Files:

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

8. ellison64

Well if you want auslogics boostspeed to start at windows login (this option is ticked by default upon installation,though you can untick it if you wish ),so that you can see the icon in system tray and be able to open it from system tray ,then its a process and running from task scheduler rather than run registry key.Whether you would call that a job or not is debateable.

9. treehouse786

oh ok now i understand you. if you disable it from the option menu then it does not have any startup entries which was my biggest gripe with TuneUp Utilities, last time i checked TuneUp had 3 startup entries which is ridiculous.

10. ellison64

Yes i agree ,though you can dig into tuneups settings and switch stuff off too.For those interested in purchasing auslogics boost speed ,i noticed that after downloading the trial ,installing and uninstalling it does offer you (or it did for me today) a 50% discount in the uninstallation process ,which is better than any discount codes i could find.The downside is its yearly licence but theres no need to upgrade if you didnt wish ,and the programs fully useable after.

11. treehouse786

i tried this but it did not work out too well, any tips? when i tried to set the services to manual mode the program would not open so i started 1 service which let the program open and most of the tweaks did not work either until i turned another back on.

12. ellison64

You need to keep the service running but you can deactivate many of the auto functions from within tuneup settings like live optimisation (i prefer process lasso for this) ,auto maintainance etc.To get the tuneup icon to show a nice green tick and system optimised message ,just hide any recommendations that tuneup shows permanently .

Attached Files:

13. treehouse786

so what your saying is that the service cant be disabled if you want to make some tweaks?

14. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

If you are on XP it may be a good thing to disable some services but Windows 7 doesn't need any kind of ''Tune-up'' thingy. :shifty:

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

16. ellison64

Ive uninstalled it so not sure unless i install it again.I would imagine though that the service is more for the live optimisation side and auto updates ,auto login rather than for the tweaks.Iguess it might be possible to perform the tweaks and then shut off the service ,but i couldnt verify this unless i installed again

17. treehouse786

thanks for the update, but if i recall correctly the program would not even open with the services disabled hence why Auslogics is superior in my book.

18. ellison64

I like auslogics stuff myself but prefer the standalone products rather than a suite,Same goes for tune up really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.