Replacing RAID hard drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blueskies, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueskies

blueskies Registered Member

I'm upgrading our server by replacing the 2 existing hard drives in RAID 1 configuration with a newer larger set.

I plan to:
    1. make image of the existing partitions and MBR on the existing RAID array to an external USB drive with the server installed Acronis TrueImage Server 9.1 build 6,633 software.
    2. remove the existing drives and clear the RAID array configuration
    3. Install the new pair of hard drives.
    4. Create a new RAID 1 configuration.
    5. restore the TI image from USB drive to internal drives using an Acronis boot disk.

Are there any considerations doing it this way I'm not thinking of?

Can I use a boot disk made from a client pc on the network (Acronis TrueImage Home 9 0 build 6,633) because our server doesn't have CD burner installed ( the server has the Acronis TrueImage Server 9.1 build 6,633)?

Thanks for any suggestions on making this work (the first time)!

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

I would suggest you to create a bootable ISO file on the server, and then burn it on your computer, but to have the Server version.

Btw maybe check out for updates on the Acronis Website.

But your process seems good to me. Be careful maybe USB will be slow, make sure to have it powered on before Acronis boots up

Good luck!

Jaycee

3. blueskies

blueskies Registered Member

Thanks Jaycee.. that's a great idea! Can you tell I'm really nervous about this?

Michael

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello blueskies,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on. I would anyway recommend you to have at least one reserve copy of Bootable Rescue CD, just in case the original disc will be lost or damaged for some reason.

Please also be aware that the latest build of the English version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server is 3854. You can download the latest buils from the "Product Update" section of your account on Acronis Web site. To get access to updates you should first register your software.]register[/url] your software.

The procedure you have described should allow you to migrate the system to the new hard drives successfully.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

We have done things very similar to what you are describing, many times. As long as you are certain that your boot disk will recognize the RAID controller you are using, and the RAID itself is going to be the same (as you said, just new/larger disks) then you shouldn't have any problems.

Always take precautions for "what if..." though !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.