Replace and disable Internet Explorer now

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bigc73542, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Link to source article: http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/01/123233

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Pardon, but can't IE be removed in Win9x/NT via LitePC's IEradicator?

3. bigc73542

No, you end up taking out only about 70% Of IE. Windows will not run without IE or at least parts of it being installed.

4. Brent

Brent Registered Member

Good ole Microsoft. They will never learn

5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

So you're saying that "removing" IE via the method MS provides is better than "removing" it via IEradicate?

6. bigc73542

No not at all, but removing it in my opinion is a good idea. Ie irradicator makes it totally inoperable. Hence no windows updates. The removal done in the article will allow IE to download windows updates but that is all. That alone makes it wiser to do it through windows instead of Irradicator.

that is my personal opinion but I believe that I am correct on the issue. bigc

7. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Windows updates can be gotten via the Microsoft download site. It takes a bit longer, though.

Not that that matters for me... My MS Update has never worked properly. :p

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Removal of IE is drastic. Removal may be okay for unsophisticated PC users who dont use their PC for much more than email and looking at Uncle John's web page. It makes sense too for older systems that might not benefit much from IE's features and do not have much room for all of those extra programs one needs to defend and repair damge caused by IE's vulnerabilities. However, if one is disciplined, takes the time to learn safe hex, and uses an alternate browser for general surfin' I don't think removal is required. I do not plan on removing IE or any part thereof. I have had no problems with it and now that I am using Mozilla Firefox, do not feel removal of IE is necessary as I still use it from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.