Repair INstall WinXP-ProSP3 Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pratzert, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Hi.
    I'm running WinXP-Pro w/SP3 and use Rollback Rx v9 on the same machine.

I have been having a lot of problems with the USB ports and Device manager not installing the correct USB driver for my new GPS units.

I wanted to try to do a repair install of XP. I have the DVD with the SP3 on it.

Can anyone foresee any problems doidn the repair install since I have RollBack Rx on the PC too ?

Will the repair overwrite anything that Rollback needs in case I want to restore my PC to a pre-repair state ?

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would strongly suggest you remove Rollback first. Otherwise I can see a real mess happening.

Pete

3. pratzert

Thanks for the warning Pete. I had a bad feeling in the back of my brain about doing it.

But I am so totally stumped about a problem I have with a Garmin GPS.

Please allow me to explain and see if anyone has some idea of how to fix my problem.

The Garmin GPS units go into a "Mass Storage Mode" when hooked up the a PC via USB. The device manager is supposed to recognize it automatically and set it up with the correct driver(s). The correct driver is "USBSTOR.sys" and garminusb and one other I think.

When I hook up a new nuvi775t to the USB at home... no problem at all, the drives listed in "MYCOMPUTER" show the drive as "Garmin G:\". and I can see the files on the drive.

But at work I have the EXACT SAME SYSTEM but when I hook up the GPS to the USB there, it keeps installing "Generic USB" drivers or says "Unknown Device" or a few other choices. Everything except loading the USBSTOR drivers and recognizing the Garmin drive.

I have tried reinstralling the drivers from a DVD to no avail. Someone else suggested I try to reinstall all of the MS Drivers, but I don't know how to do that nor do I know if it would work anyway. I have not found a way to "force" the device manager plug and play to load the correct driver.

That's why I was thinking maybve a repair install of XP would help.

It's one of those things that can drive you insane trying to fix it.

Thanks for letting me vent... any idead or suggestions ?

Tim

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

From what you are saying I suspect that you will have to reinstall RB RX and will lose all your snapshots in the process...if the repair install decides to affect the MBR!

5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I agree with the others, bad idea to try the repair with Rx installed.

I THINK if you do a sector by sector image of the drive you may be able to retain your snapshot history. I am fuzzy on this but when I did my initial research before getting Rx there was comment that seemed to imply that this would be the case (but other comments said no). You might want to search the threads from apx Jan Feb 09 on this subject (thats when I was asking questions about Rx). Probably a good way to do the search would be to search for my posts regarding Rx, this will bring you to the relevant threads.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

6. pratzert

Thanks to all for their suggetsions and warnings....

If I attempt the repair install I will uninstall Rollback Rx first AFTER... backing up all my data.

Thanks again.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have a garmin gps system so understand what you mean when you say you see the 'mass storage' device.

In your garmin folder on the 'good computer are you able to copy the drivers from your usb_driver folder in c\Garmin to the folder on your 'bad' computer?

8. pratzert

Hi stapp.

I copied the USBSTOR.sys from the "good" to the "bad" and it didn't make any difference. I am going to do the other 4 today (grmn0200.sys, grmn0400.sys, grmn1200.sys, grmnusb.sys) and see if it make a difference. It seems like the center of attention is USBSTOR. Whenever the PC recognizes the GPS, that USBSTOR is what shows up as the driver in the device manager.

What is even more strange, is that, the "bad" pc recognizes and loads the Garmin Mass Storage Device on ALL of my other Garmin GPS units.... nuvi780, Oregon 400t, SP7500, SP2730, 76CSx.

So what is different about this nuvi775t ? Why won't it load when the others do ?

It is driving me absolutely CRAZY !

If can think of something else, please, please let me know.

Thanks, Tim

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried using a different usb lead to the 'bad computer'?

10. pratzert

Yep... tried 3 differernt ones... they worked with my other Garmins but not this 775t.

I am now having some problems with my SanDisk Cruzer memory stick as well..... it does not read it. When I first plug it in, the U3 control panel sort of flashes like it's loading... and my PC will show an extra drive "I", but when I click on it there is nothing in that drive even though I know it's got files on it.

Since I am using Rollback Rx, i rolled back to my very latest Rlbck file and the memory stick works fine with that loaded... and the Garmin GPS supposedly loads and show the Garmin Drive, but then everything freezes until I unplug the GPS from the USB.

I dont' know if it's a driver problem, some sort of plug-n-play problem or hardware recognition problem or what.... but whatever it is, it is not good.

The last thing I really want to do is re-install windows since I have a ton of programs and a ton of files on the hard drive.... but if I have to I will.

I tried running a "sfc /scannow" but it didn't help.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

11. Peter2150

Before you do a repair of windows, I think I'd try uninstalling Rollback and see what happens. There may be some kind of screwy driver conflict do to the way Rollback works.

Pete

12. pratzert

Pete,

Thanks... it's worth a shot.

I am running the same version of Rollback Rx on my home PC where it recognizes the Garmin GPS with no problem.

If I do end up having to backup everything up and re-install my Operating System, what do you all think of just going ahead and taking the opportunity to install Windows 7 instead of WinXP-Pro since I have to start from scratch anyway ?

13. Peter2150

I have no opinion on whether it's worth the change to Win7. Just depends on how adventureous you are and how much time you have.

14. pratzert

Well it's now working.....

I deleted the Cache.inf file in the Windows sys32 inf folder, I uninstalled all of the USB controllers about 10 times, I renamed the MS Malicious Software program ( msr.exe ) to be sure it could not start, I don't which one worked... but the PC started recognizing the Garmin drive of the 775t.

So for now.... it's working. The PC also properly recognized my Sandisk Cruzer memory stick, which it stopped seeing as well.

I hope it keeps working correctly. As soon as it starting acting correctly I took a Rollback snapshot and locked the snapshot.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.