Repair Install to Fix Windows 7 Without Reformatting by Britec

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexC, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's just a real shame that since Vista, you can not do a repair install by booting from the Windows DVD.

I know there is Startup Repair, but this often useless.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I totally agree. The possibility of performing a complete system repair from the boot CD in Windows XP was a really useful feature that should be kept in Windows Vista, 7 and 8. I don't have a clue why Microsoft decided to remove it o_O

4. roger_m

It was really useful for fixing badly corrupted Windows installs which wouldn't boot or would give a BSOD before finishing booting.

Also for when transferring a harddrive to new computer with different hardware, so that Windows will work with the new computer instead of getting BSODs. Although, according to Microsoft you can start an inplace upgrade on the orignal computer and after the first reboot, put the harddrive in the new computer. But I've never tried this.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

People can save themselves all the trouble by installing Rollback RX. If you screw something up, just select an earlier time when you know Windows worked and boot up.

Life is too short to fix Windows errors and no one likes to reinstall everything. Or backup a good image of Windows and boot up with it.

6. roger_m

I used it a few years back when it was given away at giveawayoftheday.com, amybe I should take another look.

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Roger, i never heard about that, but i´ll surely try it when i have the chance :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.