Renewing Eset NOD32 EAV

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by J-Mac, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

I have a total of 5 active EAV licenses. The licenses for two of my computers will expire on 12 Dec 2009. On 26 Nov 2009 the Eset icon in the system tray on both computers turned yellow, as if the AV protection had been disabled. I opened the main window to see what was wrong and found that it was just telling me about my upcoming license expiration. And that's a good thing because I had always disliked the fact that Eset didn't notify users of expirations - except the AV suddenly deactivating on the expiration date! I had a long conversation with Eset support the first timethat happened a few years ago and was told that it is up to the user to remember the expiration dates. The tech agreed that this wasn't an optimum situation but he had no control over such things of course.

Anyway, I digress. The reason for my post is that tonight I noticed that the tray icon was green again - I opned the main window again and there is now no mention at all of the impending license expiration. Weird. So I looked for a renewal link in the NOD32 UI and found that there is none. Once that notice disappeared tonight there is nothing at all in the User interface that mentions the license expiration, and nothing there that even has the date that it will expire. So that notification was no help really. If I hadn't written anything down about the exp. date there is no way to find out, other than hunting for the email receipt from two years ago. Which I do have BTW, so all is not lost. But this is no way to encourage users to keep on renewing their licenses!

Does anyone here know why that changed tray icon and warning about the license expiration disappears som soon after appearing?

Or why there is no mention anywhere within the NOD32 interface of the license exp. date?

Thank you.

Jim

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try running Help -> Verify license validity to force requesting your license details from the servers.

3. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thank you Marcos.

Weird - First, I don't see such a link under Help. Using NOD32 EAV 3.0.684.0.

Second, the tray icon turned yellow again - actually closer to a light shade of orange - and when I open the main window it has the link to renew again. Not sure why that disappeared for a day but it is back, so I'll just use that and renew both computers.

I've tried to get Eset to pro-rate/combine my 5 licenses so that all renew on the same day; I even offered to lose some of the subscription time in order to get that accomplished, but they will not do that. A shame as it would simplify the renewal process for me - and I'm sure for many other users also.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

With v4, you can force the license information to refresh if there was a problem connecting to the database earlier on that day.

5. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

It gets worse as I go:

• First, the renewal link from within NOD32 brings me to the purchase page where 2 users for 2 years costs $82.99.
    • Yet I look and find an actual Renewals page where the price for 2 users for 2 years is $69.99.
    • Finally, I enter my username and the email address I used for every purchase I have ever made from Eset and the site and the site returns a note saying that they cannot find that combination. Aarrgghi!
    • So I entered my email address and submitted it to the "Forgot my Username" link. Got back four emails showing a number of my licenses - but not this one. Getting to be a joke.

I finally called Eset and the tech there pulled it right up. Said it was clear on my account along with all the others. When I asked he told me that he's getting a lot of calls from users saying the web site can't find their license but he's always able to see them. "Glitch in the system, I guess" said he.

Must be a permanent glitch because I have never once been able to renew online; I have had to call Eset for each and every renewal I have ever attempted.

And IMO the link going to the new purchase page instead of the renewal page is pretty close to fraud - very deceptive and I would imagine that a good number of users trying to renew end up paying the full new purchase price without even realizing it.

It seriously cannot be that difficult to get this right!

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.