Renewed Failure of Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Green Giant, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSFINN

KSFINN Registered Member

Yep!! Thats what I got also ( 775,418 ) :cool:

2. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Well the saga of automatic? updates continues. For the last few days I have had to update using the cumbersome method of downloading update manually from http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

running update, shutting down AVG Antipspyware, restarting it, and then manually updating it.

I wonder where is the vaunted, promised solution that was supposed to occur in the middle of April? It is the 10th of May here and no solution is in sight. I remarked in an earlier post that
    Good thing I did not. Blue is not my favorite color. :rolleyes:

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think it was stated by an ewido representative that the new version will still come, its been delayed due to bugs...

4. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

Still no update today.Like I should be surprised!

5. tigertheboo

tigertheboo Registered Member

It is May 11. Automatic updates seem to work in the initial boot, but when I try to manually update during the day, the update page appears but it simply seems to hang saying it is downloading updates but actually doing nothing. This seems to be the same situation reported a month ago. I suspect server problems since I have the same problem but intermittently on my three machines each with paid versions of the anti-spyware program.

6. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

Yup, automatic update here today. Now 786,186

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Paid versions of AVG AS were failing to update at my customer sites in the UK as of 12 May. This is a disaster - I'm getting blamed by my customers for selling them such a load of rubbish! :oops:

8. blueoysterdvp

Paid version no auto update in 2 days. This thread is sadly like a broken record!

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Very poor business practice. Many customers that are coming up for subscription renewal will undoubtedly look for alternatives.
    The free versions are even worse than the paid versions - compared to other free versions, eg. SAS, just to name one, it's
    unacceptable. I have the paid version, and unless some or other solution is found, will not be renewing.

Is Grisoft not concerned in having to present an income statement showing a headline loss and having to explain this to their board ?

Fix the very longstanding and well documented update problems and it's a good product.

:mad: :ouch:

10. blueoysterdvp

That is my only complaint,but it is an important issue.I feel like we've been thrown in the back seat and are second class citizens in the world of Grisoft.I'm a big fan of ewido and like I've mentioned on this forum too many times,when they stopped supporting ewido 3.5 it broke my cyber heart.

11. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I had been without an Internet connection for around three weeks until my new PC was installed. At first the paid-for version of Ewido appeared to update itself normally, but today I have had to download the full database, close Ewido, install the database and then click on updates. After all of the adverse publicity wouldn't you think that Grisoft would have some shame in continuing with an imperfect product?

12. computerpunk

computerpunk Registered Member

Hi, I downloaded the free version of the AVG anti-spyware. Managed to get the update working after a few tries. Have tried previously without success.

Have noticed that a lot of TCP connections were made for the update. After the updates were made, the TCP connections remains.
    The connection monitoring was viewed using the analysis tab (connections).

I know that this may sound a bit far fetched but isn't it true that connections are precious resources and shouldn't the number of connections be reduced. And since the connections are not released until after a while, could it be the cause of server resources being held up and that's why not being able to serve other people out there trying to update their version?

13. mark5019

mark5019 Registered Member

my paid still stuck oh well

14. Firecat

I asked Grisoft a bit about why the new version of AVG Anti-Spyware is taking so long to be released and also mentioned a bit about the update problems and Windows Vista/Windows 64-bit compatibility. After quite a long time (yes, much more than expected) I received a somewhat detailed reply regarding the issue. I will not quote the entire message here but here's the gist of what it contained:

- Grisoft is 100% aware of the problem with Ewido/AVG AS products
    - As of today they're working on the release candidate version
    - During the development period, several unexpected bugs came up due to which the release had to be delayed, therefore the new version couldn't be released in mid-April as was initially planned
    - The new version will have the version number AVG 7.5.1.x
    - Currently the new version is in testing and Grisoft/Ewido is confident that this version will be released within 14 days
    - Ewido is trying to improve the situation with the updates but a large part of the "fix" will only be achieved with the release of the next program version.

I hope the above information was of some use to all of you Ewido users. I would also like to thank Grisoft and Ewido's support teams for commenting on the matter. If any of you at Grisoft are reading this thread right now, please do note that it is highly appreciated! :)

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Are there other things in this new build besides a partial fix to the update problem and Vista/x64 support?

16. Firecat

From what I saw in the message, NO, but AVG's other products also didn't acquire any new features with product updates. Most likely all feature work will only be introduced with AVG 8.0, to be released at the end of the year.

BTW, its not a partial fix, the new version should fix most of the update issues.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's great. I misunderstood this sentence:
    I thought that a major program release was needed (i.e. AVG AS 8.0)
    Thanks Firecat.

18. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Although the information to Firecat from Grisoft is welcome, wouldn't it have been courteous for AVG/Ewido to deal publicly with all of the continuing complaints about automatic updates?

Had it not been for Firecat, we should still have been in the dark

19. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

FWIW They've not told resellers a thing, not that I'm too bothered any more. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.