Renewal of NOD32 Enterprise Edition license

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rpremuz, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

Hi!

I've been administering NOD32 installations in MS Windows domains since a year ago.
    The NOD32 Enterprise Edition is used in these environments.
    Recently the renewal process of the NOD32 Enterprise Edition licenses started to take place.

Current Eset policy is that with a renewal of a NOD32 license users are given new usernames and passwords for connecting NOD32 to update servers. This requires user/administrator intervention in NOD32 installations.

I think it would be much better if the existing username and password were retained for the period of the license renewal. That would require no intervention in the NOD32 installations.
    Would not that be simpler for Eset too (now they have to discard old username & password and create new ones)?

My NOD32 dealer told me that keeping existing username and password is possible for enterprise users that have 1000+ NOD32 licenses.

Before switching to NOD32 I used Sophos AV suite in corporate environments where you also get username and password for update. At renewal of the license the username and password didn't change.

I'd like to see opinions of other NOD32 users about this issue.

-- rpr.

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

It would be easier for administrators, yes.

At the same time, changing username/password makes it easier to disable and remove pirated licenses from the ESET database :)

3. zashita

zashita Registered Member

In a corporate environments / domains, a local mirror for updates is usually used, then the only UN/ PW to change are those for the computer which create the local mirror, and not in all computers in the network.

Another popint, if you have the managements tools (Remote Administrator Server & Console), then you have to change your licence file to be able to continue to use them.
    And with RAC/RAS, it is also possible to change all the configuration from a central point, without the need to go on each computer. It is easy to change UN/PW too with these tools.

I agree with SSK about the pirated licenses :)

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I totally agree with what has been said - running NOD32 in LAN and updating each workstation from Eset's servers would have adverse effect both on the client's bandwidth as well as on Eset's servers.

5. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

Of course I use a NOD32 mirror for updating NOD32 in corporate environments.

In some cases many users use laptop computers (e.g. 50% of users) and may not connect to its Windows domain for a week or more, but they connect to the Internet every day. I used to set NOD32 for update from the Internet on those laptops (using the username and password of the company's NOD32 Enterprise Edition license). The license renewal will require (manual) changes of the NOD32 configuration on those laptops.

IMHO, if you use a simple username-password system for accessing the update servers then it's hard to prevent the licenses from piracy. Somebody who stole a username and password for NOD32 update this year will do it again next year.

-- rpr.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    For my EE setups...I make several configuration files. Usually a minimum of 2x installs...one for the LAN, which has their updates pointing to the local http server, and one of the "road warriers" on laptops, doing the auto-select with user/pass to pull from the internet. They are all set to be managed.

When renewal time comes, it's wonderfully easy. Update the config file for the laptops with the new user/pass...and update the fleet of laptops with that new config file. The next time the laptops "check in"..via VPN or local LAN hookup in the office..they'll get the new config shoved down their throat.

Obviously some planning will ensure no "lag time"...you'll want to know when your current license is about to expire..renew it a bit before it expires, say a week or so...to allow overlap time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.