Renaming disks, if possible, help!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

With Paragon, I back up my system to an installed (no RAID) 60gb SSD. With W7's backup, I back up to an external HD. For whatever reason there are four "Removable Disk(s)" listed, E, F, G and H in "My Computer," probably representing my card reader and potential thumb drives. Now the obsessive side of me would like to make the 60gb drive F and the external drive G as opposed to I and K like they are now. Is this doable? I believe I tried it once to no avail but perhaps I didn't follow the "How to" correctly. Thank you!

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Change the current F and G to something else, e.g. M & N, then change the I & K to F & G, then either leave the M & N as is or change them to I & K....

Basically you have to free up an assigned letter before you can re-use it.

3. ratchet

Thank you!

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi ratchet :)

Perhaps this command line utility may help in some way.

From the site:
    "DriveCleanup removes all currently non present "Storage Volumes", "Disk", "CDROM", "Floppy" USB drives and their USB devices from the device tree. Furthermore it removes orphaned registry items related to these device types. Since V0.8 it removes WPD devices under Vista and Win7.
    Started with parameter -T (like test) it shows which devices it would remove."

Here is the site:
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

Scroll down to Drive Cleanup. From there you can download the utility if you need to. Not sure if it would assist with drive letter issues, but if it cleans out non present devices, it may. Just wanted to post the info. :)

Jim

5. ratchet

You think this would get rid of the old drive letter nest to the new one? e.g. (F:) (K:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

VxScrub.exe - a utility to remove unneeded registry entries resulting from adding and deleting volumes.

7. ratchet

Jim1cor13 and majoMo, not a very DOSy guy so it's probably just me, however, while running cmd as administrator with these programs, all I get is "does not recognize this file or program". So what am I doing wrong? Thank you!

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ ratchet, that warning comes out because you didn't open your cmd windows to the folder where are 'Vxscrub.exe' file.

You can do this in your opened command line console (put your own Folder Path):

"C:\<Path.Where.are.VxScrub.Folder>\Vxscrub.exe" -p

9. ratchet

Indeed that worked relative to executing the program, however, it didn't help with the problem. I was pretty moronic about the whole thing but I figured out how solve it. I just removed the volume and then created new volumes (with letters I wanted). Thanks for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.