removing programs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

whats the correct way to remove programs. is it remove then reboot? well yes i know that, but, is it ok to remove more then 1 program at a time say 3, then reboot? thanks :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I guess you could.

I do one at a time, clean registry and any other "stuff" before uninstalling another.

Don't want to confuse myself! :cool:

Others may differ.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, it sounds like the safest way. i just dont like rebooting :rolleyes: . plus i suppose it works the same way for installation (i have about 6/7 programs i need to install) :eek:

thanks, ron :)

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

just incase you missed it ,one of which is ccleaner, which i just installed, id had a 10 version for a few months, it seems to updates every 4/5 weeks or so :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes, I have CCleaner as well as the last free regcleaner and regseeker also.

If you install a lot of programs at once, give each one a little time to make sure there are no problems.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ok, ron :) . i just installed tinylogger, to use instead of kerio firewall's log recorder, looks like a good improvment, thanks again ron :cool:

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

My view on removing programs... I think it depends a lot on how complex a program it is. A software firewall, anti-virus, or similar application that may have installed drivers, or in some other way hooked deep into the OS, these require special handling and should be done one at a time.

My example has always been Zone Alarm, a package a lot of people have trouble removing, and yet I haven't. I disable it and set it not to run / load at next restart. I reboot and confirm it is actually not running. Then I execute the uninstall program. Reboot again and check for / clean any remaining pieces (files, registry entries, etc.)

For any program highly integrated into the OS, I recommend the "disable and double reboot" method descrbed above. But, for simple programs like... I don't know, say IrfanView (an image viewer and basic editor), that doesn't need any reboots.

If I'm installing an upgrade of a complex program, I do the above removal and then a clean install on a freshly rebooted system. And I'd never combine say a firewall and anti-virus install in a single session without rebooting between them.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, LWM. that made alot of sense. thankyou :)

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Very straightforward LWM, this is how I observe...

GF :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.