Removing Norton Goback 4 from MBR

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by barsagit, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barsagit

barsagit Registered Member

Hi, all!
    My name is Barak and this is my first post, so please be gentle :)

Recently I uninstalled Norton Goback 4 from my PC (PIII with windows 2000, program installed via systemworks 2003).
    It seems that everything was removes from the OS, but it still remains in the partitions table, MBR or whatever. I can't run Acronis or ghost, no Partition-Magic, no winternals rescue cd, etc.

What I've been trying in order to avoid format and re-partition the HD:
    • using the Symantec uninstall method, including using their iso for unhooking goback, but it cant find any installation.
    • reinstall goback, but i receive error #25005 that says there is already goback signature on partition table, so its cant be install.
    • using FIXMBR in recovery console, with no help.
    • use GParted built into knoppix, but its cant see the hidden partition (or whatever goback doing)

thanks, and please forgive my english
    Barak

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

3. barsagit

The GB_PROG.EXE is what included in Ngbboot.iso i mentioned in my post, so it's not working.
    I'm still need to try the CTRL+ALT+G trick, but will it work if i don't have the GB screen at boot time?

edit: Is there anyway to do this removal manually?
    Barak

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Barak,

Who manufacture's the box? Did it come with a pre-installed recovery partition, or with reinstall disk's?

Steve

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I gues that you cannot access the preboot screen of GoBack. In chase you have access in the preboot enviroment use the boot from floppy to access your partitions with a backup utility like acronis,etc and save all the files that you need.

Do you have an image of the disk before installing GoBack?

If yes, try to restore the MBR from the image.
    If not I'm afraid there is nothing to do since you have already run fixmbr and it has corrupted the mbr.

6. barsagit

It's an old desktop PC, No-Name brand and no pre-installed recovery partition and no reinstall disk's.

7. barsagit

I don't have access to the preboot screen because Goback was uninstalled and only the MBR records were left.
    anyway, if i wasn't clear enough, i can boot to my OS and work as usual, so saving my data is not my problem. my problem is that ,for example, i can't create an image of my HD or use Acronis Disk Director.
    I'm trying to solve this problem without format my HD.

I need to check. if I do, how do I recover only the MBR?

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Not everyone would agree .... "think twice, do once." As with many software's, notably Norton, there's usually a method to the madness .... referring to *removal ORDER.* Now depending on your particular disk arrangement, quil8's suggested solution may or may not work. Failing, move on to emtoloza's.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187636

Take your time and exercise patience, success is in the preparation.

Steve

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that the TestDisk utility will do the job, and it's freeware! ;)

Good luck,
    Jo Ann

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are lucky. When it happend to me I could not access the disk at all. Before proceding backup all the files that you need. Just for being sure in chase that something goes wrong.;)

It depends from the program that you used for imaging the disk. Acronis for example gives you the option to restore only the mbr.
    Pay attention that the partitions in the image are the exact size with those that you see in windows. If not, do not try it because you will have to reformat the disk.

11. barsagit

Problem seems to be solved.
    fdisk with linux did the trick (changing partition id to 7).
    Thank you all very very much.
    Barak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.