Removing Norton 360 2.0 from XP - advice welcome

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Vladimyr, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Habving been a "serial avoider" of Norton security software for some time, I'm unfamiliar with some contemporary aspects.

I uninstalled a license-expired copy of Norton 360 2.0 a couple of days ago.
    The uninstallation process took a long time however everything seemed to go smoothly but as a precaution, I attempted to run the Norton Removal Tool but every time got the expired warining, so I gave up.

1. Should I be concerned that some Symantec remnant is left behind to cause conflict, or am I paranoid?
    2. When 360 expires, does it cease loading its services at startup? I could't find any obviously Norton processes running before I uninstalled.

Thanks,
    Vlad.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You're not paranoid at all,I've seen a lot of issues caused by incomplete removal of Norton products.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If it was me, I'd run a removal tool.
    The tool that acr1965 linked lists 360 as one of the Norton programs that it works for. I'd run that.

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

When I uninstall antiviruses, I usually uninstall it in Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features and reboot. Then I run the removal tool if there is one and reboot. You should have already downloaded whatever antivirus you are going to use to replace your old antivirus with and disconnect your internet before uninstalling your antivirus. Finally install your new antivirus (that you already downloaded) and reconnect the internet.

Regards,

Mark.

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

You might also want to try. I used it to uninstall any remaining remnants of Symantec and it seemed to work well for me.

Code:
    http://www.appremover.com

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Even after using a third-party uninstaller, you will probably have (at least) ten file fragments and registry entries.

For the file fragments; reboot into the safe mode and run three separate searches using the terms (without the quotes) "Norton", then "Symantec", then "NIS" (not case sensitive).

Using Explorer, enter Windows and delete 'Prefetch". This will eliminate any remaining .EXE files for 360 and any other application. They are not needed and represent clutter.
    Don't worry, this will not damage your OS. Upon reboot, you will find a new (and empty) "Prefetch" folder.

Also in Windows, find the folder "Software Distribution". Click on that folder and find the folder "Downloads".
    Open that folder and look for anything relating to Norton 360.
    Whatever you find, delete it.

In the registry;
    Prior to doing ANYTHING else here, perform a full backup of the registry.
    Now search the registry using the same three terms as in the file fragments searches; "Norton", "Symantec", and "NIS" (not case sensitive).

Finally, still in the registry, enter the search term "Legacy_" and search for anything related to Norton 360.
    You may find an entry such as Legacy_Sym... or something similar.
    Again, not case sensitive.

Following all of the above, run CCleaner or something similar for a final step to the cleaning process.

Yes, this is involved, but it is the only way to eliminate problem file fragments and registry entries that remain even after using an uninstaller.

Good luck !

8. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Thanks to all for the tips.

It's not my PC but if I get the opportunity, I'll try the upgraded SymNRT, CCleaner and also Registry Mechanic, if I have the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.