Removing Norton 2002 before installing Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Darrin, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

I was reading how to remove Norton using the Norton Uninstall Tool. This doesnt seem to apply to Norton 2002. Is there something out there for that particular version? I have to remove someones norton and am thinking about putting Nod32 on it. I want to make sure I get all of norton out of there first.
    Thanks

2. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

You need the older removal tool - Rnav2003.

;)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would also run a good Registry cleaner such as RegSupreme after the Norton removal tool ;)

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Would "Total Uninstall" be a big help to remove any Norton Software COMPLETELY or do I still need a special Norton removal tool to correct the mistakes of "Total Uninstall" and probably RegSupreme to correct the mistakes of Norton's removal tool o_O

5. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think you have to have total uninstall monitor the install of Norton in order for it to be effective.

6. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

Thank you.

7. Blackcat

No, because as mentioned above you need to monitor the install of Norton with TU which then takes a snapshot of your system.
    Yes.
    This will just confirm that you have removed most of Norton.

8. ErikAlbert

Of course you have to monitor the install of Norton with TU. Isn't that logical and obvious? That is the main reason why you install TU : to monitor any installation.
    That doesn't answer my question. OK, I will rephrase my question.

If I monitor the install of any Norton Software with TU, will TU be able to remove any Norton Software COMPLETELY from my harddisk? :)

9. Blackcat

Not from your original post!
    Together with RegSupreme it should be able to remove all of Norton.

10. ErikAlbert

In other words, I would have paid $29 for a software (Total Uninstall), that doesn't do its job properly. :eek:

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think the reg cleaner is more of an insurance. u can of course use ccleaner or any other free utility for to clean ur registry.

12. ErikAlbert

Well, Total Uninstall and Norton Ghost are on my list, I will see it with my own eyes, how good they are ... :ninja:

13. Blackcat

I did not say this. TU is an excellent program which I have used for several years. BUT IME, with some software it does not 100% remove every trace of that program. Therefore, a registry cleaner in some cases does help in the final mopping up.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

TU is a very efficient uninstaller, i have used it for a long time and to answer your question, yes, it would be enough to remove Norton so that it won't create problems with other AV's you install after. Using a regcleaner after does not mean it doesn't do the job properly.

I have personally installed all the KIS 6.0 beta builds with it (have no idea how many, but over 30), some were of course buggy and one was so buggy, you couldn't uninstall it, but TU did so without problems.

When you try it, uninstall whatever program first in the normal way, then reboot and run a TU uninstall, this will give a very clean uninstall. If you ever find one of your monitored programs won't uninstall then i have found out that booting into safemode and runining a TU uninstall from there will give very clean uninstalls.

15. ErikAlbert

True you didn't say it, but your own experience with TU proves that TU doesn't work all the time.

TU monitors installations of all softwares and I'm convinced that the author knows about Norton, since all TU-users know it already. Paranoid2000 also mentioned this in another thread together with two other issues.
    If I was the author of TU, I would have tested TU with all Norton Softwares ... find out what the trouble is ... and correct TU or even re-program TU if it was impossible to correct it in the actual structure of TU-programs.
    Maybe the latest version of TU doesn't have these problems anymore.
    You can't use the existing FREE version of TU, because that version is OLD.
    TU probably lost alot of users, because it isn't freeware anymore. So these users live still with the old issues of TU in mind.

For now, I assume that the lastest and trial version of TU will remove Norton software completely, until the opposite is proven on my computer.
    I only need to run a register cleaner to verify this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.