removing mebroot.k ??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by monographix, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monographix

monographix Registered Member

ESET Smart Security finds "mebroot.k trojan" in mbr of "physical drive.1" and ".2" ... I downloaded the removal tool but it doesnt find a "mebroot" in my system ... My system is on drive J: and i suspect the "drive.1" and "drive.2" are drives C: and some other drive ... i copied the tool to the C: root but running it while loged in J: (as the C: system is damaged) with no difference ...

is there a way to make the removal tool work on the mbr of other discs than the system disc i am currently loged in?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome Monographix,

The correct (mebroot.k) search term in the appropriate support forum should yield "usable" advice.

3. monographix

monographix Registered Member

found the two topics of interest but cant post there.

wanted to ask, will the fixmbr leave my partitions and files intact and my two windows installations (different partitions, same physical drive) intact as well ??

4. GlobalForce

Seperate hd's I'm inclined to say "no problem." Two system partitions sharing the same drive? - I think not. Since I'm unable to confirm either first hand, you should a) open a support request with ESET, or b) we're gonna need a little help from the audience. I have a few people in mind that I feel can offer the appropriate advice, and suspect it'll involve some third party program. If you're like some of us who prefer to take the initiative and proof things out for themselves, look into a few of the hits under "backup xp mbr" or "mbr tools."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hello monographix,

do you have 1 or 2 phisical drives?
    Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management? it will help to understand how you have partitioned your drives.
    What are your OSes, XP, Vista or both?
    for xp
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503/en
    for vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en

I have some easy to use tools in mind and will tell you how to proceed after you answer the above; incorrectly modifying the mbr can easily kill your partitions table.

Panagiotis

6. GlobalForce

Ah, one of the more knowledgeable members I had in mind. Nice of you to offer your "disk wisdom" Panagiotis.

7. catnotspam

catnotspam Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.