Removing CA iSafe followup to an old post - critical info here!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ramalama, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramalama

ramalama Registered Member

I joined this forum for the express purpose of passing this information along. I had a devil of a time removing the remnants of CA iSafe - specifically the dread VetRedir.dll which my new program kept telling me was infected with a virus.

I found the solution here via a web search, and was able to remove it just fine using the unvet.exe command as explained by the poster back in early 2007.

What I did not know at the time was that some antivirus and firewall software inteject that dll in the LSP chain, and by removing it will damage the chain and prevent online access.

If there is a tutorial on how to remove that .dll the following information needs to be included.

The user should download and print out Microsoft knowledge base article
    found here first! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Once you damage your Layered Service Provider chain you will be unable to connect to the internet to get further help. I know about msinfo32's abliity to show the installed protocols, and discovered that running unvet removed a half dozen that had been put there. I did not have access to the internet, so I had to painfully rename each key after deleting the blank ones. I now know that there is a lspfix ecxx.org - but I had no access once the LSP chain was broken. Below is the rest of the instructions from the response to the OP>

If it doesn't remove correctly with add/remove you might try this. But do so at your own risk. Just use caution and double check before deleting anything.

1. Start->Run->and type in: unvet32.exe
    Pay attention to what the uninstaller displays, if it can't remove
    something you'll have to delete it manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.