Removing (Acronis) ATIH 10 Registry leftovers

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by normanm, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normanm

normanm Registered Member

In https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=316447 poster Arvy offers a list of steps to manually remove ATIH 12 from a system if the regular uninstall leaves leftovers of if the cleanup utility for V10-14 fails and produces a BSOD (which happens in my case.) Again, I have ATIH 10. Arvy's fine work in places needs some clarification for intermediate users. Below is what he suggested for V12 and I'm hoping it works for V10. His suggestions are in regular type, my questions are in bold. I've edited the registry before, but some of the instructions need just a bit more direction:

Arvy's Instructions:

List of device class UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries added by ATIH:
    (NOTE: + indicates value inserted into REG_MULTI_SZ registry entries.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Class = DiskDrive
    UpperFilters + fltsrv
    LowerFilters + vidsflt61 (NOTE: Last 2 digits of filter service name may vary.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    Class = Volume
    UpperFilters + timounter + fltsrv
    LowerFilters

I have no questions about the above section.
    __
    List of "required for boot" (start=0x00000000) filter services installed by ATIH:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fltsrv
    DisplayName = Acronis Storage Filter Management
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\fltsrv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter
    DisplayName = Acronis Backup Archive Explorer
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\timntr.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vidsflt61
    DisplayName = Acronis Disk Storage Filter
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\vsflt61.sys (NOTE: Last 2 digits of driver name may vary.)

Here above are we to delete the entire key for each.
    __
    List of other "required for boot" (start=0x00000000) services installed by ATIH:

afcdp - Acronis File Level CDP Helper - afcdp.sys
    snapman - Acronis Snapshots Manager - snapman.sys
    tdrpman - Acronis Try&Decide and Restore Points Filter - tdrpman.sys | tdrpm273.sys
    vididr - Acronis Virtual Disk - vididr.sys

Here I'm confused. There are many keys with these services listed. Are all those keys to be deleted or should I look for the instance of the service that has a "start" value and either delete the value (0x00000000) or change the value, and if it's the latter, change it to what 0x0000000??
    __
    List of other "autostart" (start=0x00000002) services installed by ATIH:

AcrSch2Svc - Acronis Scheduler Service
    afcdpsrv - Acronis Continuous Backup Service
    syncagentsrv - Acronis Sync Agent Service

Same question: Are we to find only the keys that have a start value and either delete the key or change the value, or are we to delete every key that has one the three names listed?
    __
    In addition, for Windows 7 only, normal Backup and Recovery control panel functions may be disabled by alterations or deletions of the following registry entries shown as they should be for normal functionality:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
    ResourceID = 14 (as hexadecimal value or 20 as decimal value)
    ResourceDLL = %SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll (as REG_EXPAND_SZ value)

This is clear enough.

If anyone can clarify these points, I'd be grateful. And if anyone has a link to a Acronis cleanup utility just for V10, that would help. The current cleanup tool, according to the KB article, applies to v10-v13, but, as I said, it sends my WIN7/64 into a BSOD.

Thanks.

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I have their clean uninstaller for ATI-home v10, dated from 2008 or earlier. File is "acronis_cleanup.exe". I used it once on XP with no issues. I don't have a link.
    Next step?

3. normanm

Act8192 -- Would it be possible to attach a copy of the 10 cleanup.exe to a private message on this forum?

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. normanm

I've used that ubiquitous cleanup utility (it's lists five versions of ATIH from 10-14), followed the instructions about the extra registry keys and have twice been left with a BSOD and had to go through the chore or system restore. If you look at other threads here about "acronis leftovers," you'll see I'm not the only one whose machine was left BSOD by that ubiquitous utility. As the previous poster said, he has a cleanup exe just for V10. And that's what I'd like to try. But thanks for the suggestion.

6. act8192

@stapp,
    That link, unfortunately doesn't include ATIv10, which I believe is not the same as ATI2010.

@normanm
    Bottom line, first, warning:
    Some old posts here such as this #4 by Acronis expert shieber, from 2007 implies there was no cleaner for v10:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185972&highlight=TI10 uninstall
    and the long steps you included imply that as well.

Long story with excuses, as I jog my memory:
    Due to bad housekeeping on my part, I'm no longer sure this cleaner was for v10 and I do recall uninstalling v11 but don't recall uninstalling v10 so I wrote the above reply too fast, most likely.
    I had an old box with ATIv11, and uninstalled it at some point to install v10.
    From ATI images for one it's in my v10 directory, on another in v11 so I'm confused :(
    Both files dated 8/27/08, both are v1.0.0.0 and both have MD5 = 78242cfef092ea002fe53e08f8c9270e.

If you're still interested, I'll see if a file can be attached to a PM. Size is a tad over 417KB.

7. act8192

8. manolito

manolito Registered Member

I am a longtime user of ATIHv10 on my WinXP machine (IMO it is far superior to the later versions, too bad it won't run on Win7). This latest cleanup utility does not have v10 listed any more, but I can assure you that it does remove ATIHv10 (and also the Disk Director Suite) just as good as the older versions do.

There was one early version of the Cleanup Utility which would always make my machine unbootable, so I had almost given up on this tool. But all later versions behaved flawlessly with my ATIHv10 installation.

If you are interested I can upload some earlier versions of the Cleanup Utility, just let me know...

Cheers
    manolito

//EDIT//
    Checked my software archive and found 3 different versions of the Cleanup Utility. You can grab it here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/1avhpq

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  9. normanm

Thanks Act and Manolito. Downloaded M's archived cleanup files and will report back with results. Appreciate everyone's help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.