Remove linux from dual boot system

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by delmore, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmore

delmore Registered Member

I have a system with XP and Linux, dual boot with LILO.

I would like to remove the linux and swap partition, and boot directly into XP - a single partition without LILO.

How can I boot get rid of those partitions and boot directly into XP?
    (BTW - I have removable drives so will have PCLINUX OS on its own entire drive)

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

delmore:

I'd do the following in order:

1. Boot from a Windows XP CD and go to the recovery console. Enter the command fixmbr to replace the LILO bootloader code in the Master Boot Record (MBR) with the standard Microsoft boot code. Test to verify that your PC boots directly to Windows.

2. Start Acronis Disk Director from the recovery CD and delete your swap and Linux partitions, leaving free space. Commit and verify that you now have one primary, bootable partition containing Windows XP and the rest of your drive is free space.

3. From Disk Director, enlarge the C partition to incorporate the free space. You can do this by right-clicking on the C partition and choosing "Resize". In the graphic window, drag the slider to the right to make the C partition as large as possible, leaving no remaining free space. Commit and verify that you now have only one partition the full size of the drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.