removable media protection problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DouweG, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DouweG

DouweG Registered Member

Removable media protection causes Starting up to end in a freezed pc

In the latest eset smart security 6.0.306.4 (Dutch version) when I have removable media protection enabled it causes my Windows 7, 32 bit (Dutch version) professional system to give start up problems.
    Start up ends with a black screen with a white arrow and the pc is freezed. The only solution is to (re)start in save mode, use system recovery and put the old eset Smart security 5 back on and thereafter reinstall ESS 6.
    I had to do this several times and found out only removable media protection enabled causes this problem.
    I only have one external HD (WD book 1GB) attached and I use Malwarebytes pro and Spybot2.
    Can anybody help or give advice?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is definitely a different kind of issue. Receiving a completely memory dump from the point when the system is frozen will be probably the only way how to find out the cause.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Okay, thanks Marcos :)

Regards, Janus

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I wonder if it could be a conflict with Malwarebytes Pro or Spybot - Search & Destroy?

Just to check, does it make a difference if you temporarily uninstall the other two security programs? What about if you re-install them back onto the system, one at a time?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. DouweG

DouweG Registered Member

At this moment I can't seem to get a complete memory dump (memory.dmp). I have to find out to make that work in windows 7 (again). In the comming week I hope to find out.
    Thanks Marcos

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To start off, you can try generating a kernel memory dump and after analyzing it, I'd let you know if a complete memory dump was required.

8. DouweG

DouweG Registered Member

I tried letting the pc create a kernel memory dump, but so far I did not succeed.
    I enlarged the paging file to 6000 MB and as far as I can see I made sure the MEMORY.DMP would be created.
    Before I give up and leave removable media protection (rmp) disabled: Maybe my pc can not create a memory.dmp because the system can not start up fully?
    With rmp enabled the system maybe can't reach the point where it is fully started up, so it doesn't crash, it is just freezed (sometime after restarting again there is a blue circle near the white arrow cursor which keeps on circling) at the point before fully being started up.
    I always have to quit then (cntrl alt del doesn't work) and use the restart button and start in save mode and use system recovery.
    So for now I have removable media protection disabled.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.