Removable hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Peter_41, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

I have a hard drive which is removable (hot-swappable in a laptop's bay). The drive has unallocated free space at the beginning, probably because it was previously a primary drive and I don't think it has been formatted since. It was successfully partitioned once with version 10, latest build, but the unallocated space remains. I would like one more partition (so as to have three).

There is no data of consequence on the drive, and I can copy it to the primary drive in any case. The unallocated space seems a waste. Would it be advisable to reformat the drive, and if so what procedure should I follow?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

The user's guide should come first, not last. I admit, it didn't.

My problem was identical to that in another thread, 'Unallocated Space on Drive', now on p.3. The unallocated space bugged me until I realized that the size is a drop in the bucket, and from the thread referred to, I gather it is necessary. I now have two unallocated spaces, both exactly the same size, one at the beginning and one at the end.

The only reason for formatting was to be sure the drive was clean, and that proved easy, as did several other things, because I have XP Pro. (Right click on My Computer, left click on Manage, left click on Disk Management.) The one oddity is that when I used Disk Director Suite to partition, it inserted the new partition to a position apparently before the existing partition and gave it a drive letter after that partition. I juggled letters to put them in sequence, which may have been a bad idea. The same happened with the third partition.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

Could you please describe your step-by-step actions which you took while creating new partitions on that hard drive using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0?

Please be aware that you can select where the newly created partition will be located on your hard drive if you have sevral separated parts of unallocated space (Just right-click on the unallocated space and choose the "Create new partition" option).

It does not matter what the sequence of drive letters on your hard drive is. It does not affect the hard drive's and operating system's functioning in any way if the drive letter of the partition where the operating system is installed was not changed.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.