Remote Software - What Would You Use For Small Computer Fix Ups?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've been running my own small mom and pop computer business, but I've always either gone on location, or customers brought their pc to me.

Now I'm starting to think about doing Remote logins to clean systems, virus/malware cleanups, simple little backups, tweaks, etc., anything you can do remotely.

There's a lot of software out there, I know of some.

Two that come to mind for ease of use and simplicity: (But I haven't used either)

CrossLoop
    LogMeIn

By the way for management, what's Spiceworks like?

I like that it's free!

http://www.spiceworks.com/

THANKS

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Absolute easiest way is to intall TightVNC, give it a non default port number. Forward that port in the router. If using a firewall, you can allow that application only inbound connections from your ip, or better yet only your mac address.

TightVnc is free, fast, and best of all the user does not have to logoff. They can watch you to learn. Or they can show you what is happeining. Bear in mind that no remote desktop will act like the real thing. You can miss things that happen fast or sometimes just sit and wait as the stuff is transmitted. Using this on a lan is very fast.

Sul.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

As an example what if someone forgets their password on their router and can't get into it, and rather then have them reset it, and mess with it, couldn't you just use port 80 to get in?

With TightVNC what do you mean if using a firewall, you can allow that application only inbound connections? Isn't that all you need, or they are going to need to make an outbound connection as well with the client on their computer installed?

THANKS

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.