Remote Installation

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by cRazEYgUy, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cRazEYgUy

cRazEYgUy Registered Member

Hi Guys,
    I work for a company that is interested in purchasing Process Guard on a large scale. At a minimum, I'm thinking about purchasing atleast 25 Process Guard licenses. My question: Is there any way I can install PG on one machine(the host) and then have a script install PG on the other 24 machines so that I don't have to install PG on 25 individual machines? The reason I ask this is because I work for a company which requires its employee to have access to their machines at all times. For me to install PG on each machine would mean that they would have to bring their machine to me, fill out a req form and wait for me to install it. If I happen to have something else going on that day, I might not be able to get to that machine right away. But if I can write a script and send a link for the script to each of the users via email, then the task of installing PG on 25 individual machines can be avoided.
    Here's my plan: I will purchase (at least) 25 licenses, so I don't believe that there should be any legal licensing issue. I know that the main files PG uses are procguard.sys, pghash.dat, pguard.dat, pgaccount.exe, DCUserProt.exe and ProcGuard.exe. Are these the only files that PG uses? Basically, I would host these files on a server and the script would install the DCUserProt service and copy the files into the appropriate folders. After a restart, each machine would have the same settings as the first installation performed by me on the host machine. That should be all that I have to do. If this is correct, please advise on the specific PG files that may need to be modified (such as config files that give PG information on each unique computer) for each specific machine after the first installation.
    If my plan is flawed in any way, please tell me of any other way of doing this with my restrictions in mind. I appreciate ANY help in this matter.

Thanks,
    CG

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi, Currently ProcessGuard does not have an multiuser administrative install ability, whether or not your scripting approach would work only the developers can really answer. One of the caveats is probably the licence registration onto each machine including any necessary registry changes, again I am not sure about this.
    Hopefully DCS will reply here but it may also be better if you email them at sales@diamondcs.com.au for a detailed response to your needs.

HTH Pilli

3. cRazEYgUy

Thanks for your quick response Pilli. Hopefully DCS support will answer as well. So I assume that its not as easy as simply copying the necessary files to the respective locations? This morning I played around with my script on the Free version of PG between two computers. Everything works, the service starts, the pgaccount.exe starts. The only error I get is that "driver is unable to initialize." I'm not sure what driver it is referring to because I have essentially "re-created" a new installation (or so I think) by creating the DCProtUser.exe service and copying the files to their respective locations. I also assumed that the correct order of application start-up is: first the service, then pgaccount.exe, then procguard.exe. Could there be a config file that I overlooked? What else could be causing this driver issue? Please advise. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! In the mean time, I will contact the sales department.
    Thanks again
    -CG

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You need to also add the procguard.sys driver which can be found in the system32\drivers folder, as far as I know this is why your service is not initiating properly.

Good luck with your endevours :)

Pilli

5. cRazEYgUy

Well, I tried what Pilli suggested, but I keep getting the same error when I run procguard.exe - "Process Guard Status - Error in initialization. Driver isn't installed." I believe I have all of the files in the right place:

procguard.dll, pghash.dat, pguard.dat - in system32 folder

DiamondCS Process Guard Service v3.000 - poiniting to <Drive Letter>\Program Files\ProcessGuard\dcsuserprot.exe (the service starts normally without any errors)

pgaccount.exe is in the registry under Run with value name "!1_pgaccount" and value data <Drive Letter>\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe. This also starts normally.

procguard.sys is in the system32\drivers folder.

To my knowledge, these are all of the files that are outside of the ProcessGuard "install" folder which is under Program Files. As I mentioned in my previous post, I copied the above files from a machine on which I installed PG successfully. What I'm trying to accomplish is to write a script that will "install" PG onto 25 or more individual machines without having to manually click and configure through the installation process on each. If anyone else has any more info on this subject, please feel free to help. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    CG

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Email support at diamondcs.com.au and we will go over what needs to be done. Let us know how you roll out your other software and perhaps we can suggest an easy way. Its not too hard if you dont mind a little work :)

Kind regards,
    Gavin

7. cRazEYgUy

Gavin: I emailed DCS support yesterday, but I haven't heard anything back. Time is getting somewhat critical for me now, so I hope to hear from them soon.

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

cRazEYgUy,

Trying to install Process Guard (and many other applications) by script will require you to identify all files and registry changes. For example you need the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\procguard (which contains 5 fields) for the Process Guard service itself - missing this is likely the cause of your problem.

I'd suggest that you try a fresh install of Process Guard using an installation monitoring utility like Total Uninstall to pick up all the changes. The one problem is that since the install involves multiple reboots, Total Uninstall will also pick up a lot of Windows-related changes which you need to filter out (not hard, but time-consuming) and the default exclusions for Total Uninstall version 3 need to be removed (at the very least, you need to remove the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet exclusion to pick up on the Process Guard service).

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

For driver installation, you need this command

pg_uninstdrv.exe -i c:\windows\system32\drivers\procguard.sys

Email sent ! please let me know how you go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.