Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hello,

I need some help with setting up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). The computer I am connecting TO is a XP Pro machine. I have a VPN connection setup.

Here's the info I have:
    The XP Pro machine is in an office with a 2-wire router. The router has been configured to allow VPN connections and has a default ability to allow Remote Desktop Connections. I manually configured the VPN port settings, but as I stated, the RDC had it already able, I just had to click on it.

I went to a secondary computer on the same network and VPN'd into it and then was able to use RDC with no problem (all this on the same LAN).

My home computer is a XP Home machine. I checked the checkbox under system properties to allow RDC to be sent from my machine, but not to. I can connect to the VPN with no problem, but I get a "Cannot connect to this machine..." error when trying the RDC. A colleague is trying the same thing from her home computer (XP HOme) and she cannot connect either.

Does anybody have any experience setting up a RDC that can help me out a bit?

I appreciate it.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think RDC only works with XP pro and not Home (maybe it just needs one XP Pro though o_O) also i think it's very weak and easily defeated on WAN

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

XP Pro must be installed on the computer you are connecting TO. You can use 2000/XP home/pro to connect from.

I know RDC is not the most secure way to handle this, but it's free and since my client needs it as soon as possible, I am going with this. The VPN is setup with max security too, so nobody could RDC to it without connecting to the VPN first.

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

And wouldn't it be more easy to set up with MSN messenger's own remote assistance tool?

I've never tried it, but I know there's such a tool in the last MSN I've used - just need MSN on both computer, et voilà! ;)

Cheers,
    nicM

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Well, RDC is already installed on these systems too. I don't really like having MSN on my systems so that really isn't an option.

Thanks though :)

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I figured it out!

I was trying to connect the RDC using the computer's name. I tried it with the IP address and it worked just fine.

Thanks to those who attempted to help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.