Remote Administrator

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HiltonT, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiltonT

HiltonT Registered Member

Hi All,

I have a test box here I'm trying to get RA running on and am having some issues that seem to be either silly things on my part, or on Eset's part.

1. When I install RAServer and run "netstat -n" I cannot see anything listening on port 2222/2223 at all.

2. When I install RAClient, it defaults to connect to the server on port 2223, however the server is defaulted to listen on port 2222. Is this right?

3. When trying to connect to the server (either localhost, or running RAClient on another machine) I get a password prompt (what is the password, there was nowhere to choose one during install of the RAServer) and then a "Failed to connect!" error message.

So, it appears that there is an inconsistency in the default port chosen by RAServer and RAClient. Second, there's a password prompt when connecting to the RAServer where there was no password requested when installing RAServer - and every in-use password I tried failed. Also, RAServer seems not to be actually listening on port 2222/2223 after it is installed, and in "Services" the RA services are running.

Any clues? As the documentation mentions nothing at all about a password needed to connect to the RAServer either, and also no mention of any needed during RAServer installation.

I'm stumped. RA looks good. I'd just like to be able to install it and use it! :)

- HiltonT

2. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Have you tried using no password at all? RAServer allows you to set a password for your connection, but doesn't use one by default. As to the port issue you describe, it actually DOES work that way, strange as it seems. I have multiple servers reporting back to me and they're all working fine.

3. HiltonT

Yes, of course I tried no password - that was the first thing I tried due to the fact that there was no password configured in RAServer.

Since there is actually no interface for RAServer - well, none that seems to get installed, how and where is the password configured?

As for the ports, that's just weird. How can the server listen on 2222, the clients communicate on 2223, and this work? That's just not sensible. And the sparse documentation does nothing to explain anything much.

- HiltonT

4. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

I have no clue how they're doing the port thing. Little gnomes with telegraphs, for all I know... Actually, I think that the console (admin) is talking to the server on 2223, but the NOD clients (end users) are talking to the server (who's listening) on 2222.

The password should be prompted for and set the first time you connect to the server from the RA console.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As to your third question, on an NT system you need to authenticate in order to access a particular machine. Please specify the username as: domain(workgroup)\computer_name

6. HiltonT

Hi Marcos,

When connecting to NOD32 Remota Administrator Server using NOD32 Remote Administrator Client, there's a password prompt, nothing else - no username, nothing. Besides, since its a NOD32 connection that's being made, the domain user/password is totally irrelevant - I'm not connecting to a fileshare (or other) on the SBS 2003 Server - I'm connecting from NOD32 RAClient to NOD32 RAServer using the NOD32 RA protocol - this has nothing to do with the domain user authentication.

So, still, after yet another reinstall, NOD332 Remote Administrator remains totally inaccessible and unusable because there's no way to make an initial connection from the client to the server.

- HiltonT

7. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

When you start the NOD32 console, and choose Connect, it will display a server password dialog.

The server name should default to the localhost, and show as "\\COMPUTERNAME". Is that displayed?

After installation, it should accept an empty password, and after connection, you can change the server password.

Though, I think that the RA Server isn't running as it should. Check the file "nod32ra.log" (located in C:\Program Files\Eset\RA\Server) for any error messages.

Best regards,
    Anders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.