Remote Administrator UNC Mirror

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by nicksw123, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicksw123

nicksw123 Registered Member

Hi, I am setting up ESET Remote Administrator to mirror updates via UNC. The Eset ESET Remote Administrator Server downloads the files and puts them in the right dir however my client pc doesnt update from the unc.

Details
    UNC Address: \\Server\Eset\Def_Updates
    Client: Eset v4 Business Edition

Client has read access to UNC share.

Any suggestions as to the problem
    Thanks

P.S. I followed the guide http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN814

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi nicksw123,

Is the server updating? Where are the clients looking to for their updates? Are you seeing an error message?

BFG

3. nicksw123

The server is updating and putting the files in the correct location. The clients are looking in \\Server\Eset\Def_Updates for the updates. The error I recieve is invalid password/username. I'm not using HTTP server just sharing the files....

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

Are you using a user name and password in the clients Update window?

BFG

5. nicksw123

nope although I have tried my eset pass/username which results in the same error

6. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Is "Server" the actual name of the machine hosting the files?

7. nicksw123

no its dataone. So my client is set to //dataone/eset/def_updates

8. BFG

BFG Registered Member

But in this format, correct? \\dataone\Eset\Def_Updates

This is from the manual.

The second method (shared network folder) requires sharing (“read” rights) of the folder containing update packages. In this scenario, a username and password of a user with ”read” rights for the update folder must be entered into the client workstation.

NOTE: ESET client solutions use the SYSTEM user account and thus have different network access rights than a currently logged‑in user. Authentication is required even if the network drive is accessible for ”Everyone” and the current user can access them, too. Also, please use UNC paths to define the network path to the local server. Using the DISK:\ format is not recommended.

If you decide to use the shared network folder method (variant 2), we recommend that you create a unique username (e.g., NODUSER). This account would be used on all client machines for the sole purpose of downloading updates. The NODUSER account should have ”read” rights to the shared network folder which contains the update packages.

For authentication to a network drive, please enter the authentication data in the full form: WORKGROUP\User, or DOMAIN\User.
    In addition to authentication, you must also define the source of updates for ESET client solutions. The update source is either a URL address to a local server (http://Mirror_server_name:port) or UNC path to a network drive:(\\Mirror_server_name\share_name).

BFG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.