Remote Access Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Blackspear, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I need to start learning about remote accessing a computer, I know of such things as http://ods.org/ where a dynamic IP address is managed in that if it changes it is basically reported to your "ods" account and that is constantly updated. I know about things like PC Anywhere.

What other secure free alternatives are there, and what should I know about?

Cheers :D

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is free, but when it comes to encrypted communication & server authentication protocols, they charge for their enterprise software.
    www.realvnc.com

What kind of LAN/PC are you trying to access? How much security do you require?

3. Blackspear

I am an absolute novice in this area, so I need to learn from the very beginning. I have read that I ought to be using encrypted connections or the access password is visible over the internet. Other than this I don't know where to begin. I am using Netgear ADSL routers that allow for VPN.

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Ok, if your remote PC is a Windows XP/2003 machine, the easiest way to accomplish this may be to use the built in RDP client (Remote Desktop Protocol). This is assuming you want to actually see and take control of the remote computer. The client is located under start-programs-accessories-communications-Remote Desktop Connection. Before you use the client you need to make sure of the following:
    Port 3389 not blocked on the remote pc
    Remote Desktop is enabled on the remote pc
    you know the external ip address of the remote pc

If these things are in place, you can enter the IP address into the RDP client and be able to connect, see, & control the remote XP/2003 computer. You are also able to transfer files this way.

About the security:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/win2kts/evaluate/featfunc/rdpfperf.mspx

It's not too bad basic remote management (especially for free). I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I hope it helps.

5. Blackspear

Thank you, this is exactly what I was after, together with using a ODS account it should work nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.