Remore Admin/remote desktop connections?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tom772, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi, my question relates to the above would an antiviru programe like Kas,McAfee, Nod32 and of course Norton be able to detect a unathourised connection to your comp, or alert you of these types of programmes?

Thank you again for any replys(great site):):);)

2. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Unless it is in some kind of package form (Suite, etc.) that includes a firewall. I don't think anything will detect that the "connection."

I would suppose the riskware definitions from KAV, and McAfee's expanded definitions detect the (legitimate) client programs itself, but not the connection. Malicious programs of course would be detected by all of them.

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

The reason i ask is that i found a hidden remote desktop connection on my computer>

''A Remote Desktop file (.rdp) file contains all of the information for a connection to a remote computer, including the Options settings that were configured when the file was saved. You can customize any number of .rdp files, including files for connecting to the same server with different settings. For example, you can save a file that connects to MyServer in full screen mode and another file that connects to the same computer in 800×600 screen size. The default, .rdp file is saved as a hidden file in My Documents. To edit an .rdp file and change the connections settings it contains, right-click the file and then click Edit''

This is some info i have found, so i deleted the shortcut, and changed some settings, do you think i should worry about this, as i havnt set this up?

T

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

If you have no reason to use RDP and are concerned about it's misuse:
    Right click My computer
    Choose properties
    Select the Remote tab
    Uncheck all checkboxes

That will disable any RDP access to your computer.
    Here's what the Remote tab looks like; I have one of the boxes checked but you'll want to clear both boxes. Hope it's of some help.

Attached Files:

• rdp.JPG
      rdp.JPG
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
  5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

To my knowledge .rdp files are created client-side (i.e. your pc to connect to another pc). As stated by the info you found the default is created hidden, this happens when you launch the application, I tested it out on a fresh image and it created a file in "My Documents" called default.rdp with hidden attributes, I also didn't connect to anything just opened and closed the program and it was there, so this may give you some comfort as it may be created by a simple accident, if you have not emptied the "recycle bin" yet try restoring the file and double clicking the shortcut/icon as this will call the RDC program and then expand the options tab and you will be able to see what info if any was used. HTH

6. tom772

tom772 Guest

Thanks guys, feel slight better> Im running XP home, so i had to disable certain services(follow the eldergeek services setup). Before i deleted the two files i noticed they had no info 0KB, and they were just shortcuts.

How could i have great these two files by accident on xp home?

Tom

7. tom772

tom772 Guest

figured it out, thanx guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.