Remember PCIP? What a screw up!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Ok...
    so I finally got a link to trial this apparently wonderful firewall...

what happened?

well... first, it ~hijacked~ the internet connection AWAY from Armor2Net [trial]... it was rendered useless. Then, it qouldn't display ANY prompts or ANY info ANY-FRIGGIN'-WHERE...!!!

darn it!

So i tried to uninstall it... guess what? third time, I got lucky and smashed it out of the system...

No. I don't use those tracking uninstallers. Yet. I might need to start using them.

My recommendation for this amazing piece of junk? forget it... too little info provided by the ultra newbie firewall...
    what I don't understand is... If knowledge is power, isn't a newbie being rendered powerless?

Anyway, I understand that this case may be one in a million, but I'll happily add it to the list of crap that aready includes ZoneLabs products, Norton Internet Security [firewall is crap] and ETrust's EZ products.

NOTE: this has been a personal opinion piece. Facts are rare and often misinterpreted. I have no other facts than what happened on in front of me. A newbie's PC was almost completely ruined because of me. Got saved miraculously. Thank God. Now he's loving Kerio 4 [yes... even the free version is good enuf protection for the lad]

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Interesting . But , you are right . You only know what happened to you . Something is wrong , obviously . pcIP plays nicely with MOST firewalls . I have used it with Armour2net and had no problem . Played very nicely . I do not know what problems you had but , I guess you should never use that crap again . Too bad . It really is a good piece of software . But , like anything , some things do not work for everyone . Take care and good luck

3. Goodman385

Goodman385 Registered Member

To No13,

I am one of the Patrol's developers and was very disappointed to see your post reporting an apparent software conflict with Patrol.

Patrol usually coexists well with other firewalls and from customer surveys we see almost no complains in that area.

If you still have access to the PC where you had a problem, would you mind to complete this problem report form or at least attach the errors log files as shown: http://www.pcinternetpatrol.com/support/form

Sorry for your expirience and many thanks in advance for your help.

4. no13

hmm...

thanks for remaining sane to my ramblings.

my problems are twofold....
    1. Armor2Net was rendered useless. It wasn't detecting any traffic at all. My friend liked the simple app control afforded by it [the UI was tremendously simple and powerful]
    2. PCIP allowed all traffic. No options/config screens showed any information. None at all.

No info + automatic allowed = Bye bye ZA, NIS and now PcIP...

Hence I dropped the firewall... I already have a deep seated fear of online installers, which is why I'm looking for even a Yahoo msgr offline installer.

I don't have access to logs any more.

Unfortunately, your form demands a CID, which again I don't have...

will it suffice if i PM you the form answers, Goodman?

5. no13

Hang on...
    I can get the logs... they were thrown into a bin folder by an HDD "cleaning" tool.
    I'll send the plaintext of the logs in a PM if you like, or i can gmail the whole thing.

6. Kec Velaskec

Kec Velaskec Registered Member

no13 send logs to support@pcinternetpatrol.com.
    You can get CID in Subscription Information menu item.

7. no13

err... I've asked my friend to uninstall PcIP.
    In his own words... He has "salted the Earth so that nothing'll ever grow back again"....
    He was pretty miffed about losing Armor2Net back there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.