"Remember" doesn't seem to work

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by hojtsy, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Hi,

I get a popup for Bandwidth Monitor Pro seting itself as autostart at each bootup. Even if I set the checkbox to remember my decission, and press Allow, this popup is displayed again at next reboot. The "applications permissions override" box stays empty.

-hojtsy-

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am seeing the same thing. Telling to remember an allow not only doesn't show up in the settings, but it keeps popping up and asking again.

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I've got the same problem here! I tell regdefend to remember an always allow some file at startup but at every reboot the file to be remember as "always allow" doesn't show up in the settings, and it keeps popping up and asking again at every rebooto_O?

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Same here with running AntiTracks . Each time it is run , RD asks again even though I have checked it to remember my decision

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Have you tried in the Application Permissions Override
    press Add Program
    search for the program you want to permit, add it and see if it now goes well?

6. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

I also had this problem.
    I gave various items during ‘Logging in’ the ‘allow always’ status. But they failed to appear in the list of allowed programs and nothing was recorded in the log. The next boot the same items were flagged again.
    Also noticed on changing user account – Spy Sweeper failed to load. I think RegDefend was blocking registry access without giving any chance to ‘allow’. The problem continued until RegDefend was uninstalled.
    Certainly looks like it’ll be a great program once some of the initial teething bugs are sorted. :)

7. Peter2150

I had a problem trying that with a registry key. Froze the computer. Point is we shouldn't have to. I am sure this is a small nit that Jason will get fixed.

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I'm experiencing the same with RD not remembering at reboot. However, as Jookse pointed to, if you manually add the program to the override and give it permission to modify keys and/or modify values, then RD handles it okay on reboot.

The HELP file doesn't provide anything about adding/setting up programs (at least I haven't found it yet). Am I correct in assuming that a program that is added is given permission on ALL items that are in a single GROUP? Or does it apply to all GROUPS.

9. Peter2150

I added the 3 problem programs, with all 4 permissions checked. Rebooted. They still pop up.

10. siliconman01

When you add the programs, right click on the program name in the Applications Program Override area. Then select/checkmark Automatically Allow Modifying Registry Keys and Modifying Registry Values. You may only need Key or Values.

Also, I assume you added them in the Auto Starts group.

11. Peter2150

Actually I didn't add them to the autostarts group. Will try that. One of them is a startup issue the other isn't. I'll be back.

12. Peter2150

Bingo. Added the offending programs to the autostart list also, and no more popups. "Remembering" still needs fixing.

Interestingly adding to the autostart list also cleared up another problem I was having. Shutdown. When I'd start the shutdown I'd get a windows saying Printscreen.exe wasn't responding. If I did nothing then the countdown would finish and sit there. Once I clicked on End it was 1.5 minutes before shutdown continued. If I clicked end right away it still was exactly 1.5 minutes before shutdown started. Closing Regdefend the shutdown started in 3 seconds.

By adding the programs that I added to the optional group to the autostart group the shutdown problem also went away. Jason??

13. siliconman01

Glad you were successful Peter2150. Agree that the "Remember" needs fixed. Am sure Jason will tackle and correct it.

14. siliconman01

Here's another item along the train of thought that perhaps needs looked into.

It's the short form of a program activation argrument.

For example, c:\Program Files\mru-blaster\mrublaster.exe and then
    c:\Progra~1\mru-bl~1\mrubla~1

It's the same program starting up and attempting to modify the registry; however, RegDefend requires an entry for each one.

15. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I have the same issue with RegRun (Secure Start enabled). I added the onsecure.exe entry manually after RD failed to remember it several times.

Nick

Attached Files:

16. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Well yes. It worked that way.
    -hojtsy--

17. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Offtopic: The free firewall from Jetico suffers from the same "bug".
    -hojtsy-

18. hollywoodpc

I hope this will be taken care of . Why should you have to add something to the startup registry ? I will not do that . It is ignorant if it is not a start up program . I have added the problem keys to the App override area . to no avail . Bottom line is , it does not work properly . I also feel Jason will take care of this promptly but , until then , why do something wrong to try to make a buggy program work > Hope it is fixed before trial is up . If not , what to do then ?

19. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Thanks guys, I have identified the bug and will get a fix out within a day or two.

In regards to the long/short filename issue, you can fix it if you make sure that wherever a program "starts" it is the long filename version instead of the short. Unfortunately in kernel mode there is no way to convert a short filename into a long one,and because performance will be worse (you can fix it if you make the GUI application convert all filenames, but this requires 3 extra trips) it is something you can't really "fix" without introducing other issues. However as I said, you can "fix" it yourself by making sure the autostart for those programs isn't the short filename, but rather the long filename version.

20. siliconman01

Thanks Jason for your attention to this thread.

Fully understand your explanation on the short form issue. Not difficult to make the change to the long form internally so will do so on my end. I find where it mostly occurs (at least on my box) is when using the Task Scheduler to create a new entry.

And thanks for a great new security creation...RegDefend ! :D

21. hollywoodpc

Thank you Jason . Done . You are really up to helping people out . Customer service seems to be a lost trade . Not with you though . Great program and looking forward to other " goodies " later . God Bless and CONGRATS

22. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I thought I would just tell you guys that I will be renewing the 14 day trial for the next version, so you will have 14 days with the new version at least. :)

23. hollywoodpc

Wow ! Can anybody be as kind as this guy ? Thanks Jason . AWESOME !!! And a stupid question . Will there be an AUTO update feature or is there already one in the registered version ? Thank you again .

24. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Jason,
    On the short/long filename issue, would it be possible for you to give an extra option in the app permissions override (right click "register short filename for exe") that leaves a single line in the window but transparently adds the other version(s) of the filename into the list - it is a manual configuration adjustment for those programs that need it and it also addresses the problem without requiring the engine to do extra work at runtime

25. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

You can check for a new version in the program currently, but there is no "Auto Update" feature. It may be possible to implement something like that in the future, but due to the nature of driver uninstallations, etc, you need to uninstall a previous version first, then reboot so you can reinstall a newer version.

With RegDefend though, you don't need to reboot to start using it, so you will only need one reboot in the whole "upgrade" procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.