Remaster XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kerodo, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is there anything in Win that will allow me to install XP, do all the updates, and then remaster a new ISO or CD with the updates and settings included for future installs? This would be a great time saver for me as I tend to do frequent reinstalls of XP since I alternate between Linux and XP a lot. PCLinuxOS has this feature. You can install it, customize things, and then remaster a new live cd.

Is this what nLite is about? I have seen nLite mentioned a lot however I have never checked into it much, and it doesn't really seem like what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure...

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nLite doesnt remaster a CD from your Windows XP install. Instead you use the files from a Windows XP CD.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, I see. Thanks.. I'm getting the feeling that what I want doesn't exist for Win. Guess I will have to continue doing it the hard way unless someone else posts an idea later..

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. I will check it out...

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Kerodo,

I found this picked up by Nemesis2k2 on gamedev.net - ht*tp://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/
    *Don't mind me, not a fan of theplanet.

Here's something else from brief description sound's viable - http://www.winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

You'll need to investigate further whether they're for you or not. Feedback welcome.

Steve

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

why not just do a clean install, updates etc and then make an image from CD with something like Acronis True Image ? when I want to do a clean install it takes less than 5 minutes.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

nLite allows you to do everything you want except it does it to your windows install files. You can easily add the latest updates and tweak it to how you to like. You can even add pre-installed programs.

What i prefer to do is use acronis trueimage to make a backup image of my basics windows install with all the latest updates. If i need to reinstall windows i simply restore that image which only takes about 2 minutes.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all the info.. Ideally, I would like to burn a customized install of XP to CD if possible, so thanks Farmerlee for that.. I think that's what I need.

Also the image idea is fine, however, I would need to create a partition to store it on I guess, and I am limited on disk space to some extend, only 40 gigs here, and 25 of it is in a separate partition already for my mp3's. So that doesn't leave me much room on the HD. But it's possible I guess.. I have done it before when I had a little more space.. So thanks also Long View.

And also thanks to Steve, I will check out the link and info now. :)

Actually, the image idea is probably best if I can come up with the HD space..

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I created an ISO file of my original WinXPproSP2-CD with Alcohol120%, so I can reproduce this CD numerous times, even when the original is damaged.

nLite however creates a customized WinXPproSP2-CD and this is alot better than the original one. This is of course only usefull when you re-install your computer from scratch. Nevertheless I'm planning to use nLite for that purpose, because I'm going to re-install my computer in september.
    nLite has so many settings (about 20 pages), that you better prepare this on paper (screenshots) in order to remember which settings you changed.

Creating images is also usefull, if you can keep them CLEAN. I will certainly do this during the re-install, although it gets harder to do this completely OFF-LINE, because more and more softwares require internet to install them properly, including activation.
    I hate to go ON-LINE when I install Windows and all my softwares and I can only hope that I don't get infected during these short on-line moments.
    Don't these software developers know yet, that internet is full of infections ? :rolleyes:

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Making an image of the basic windows install with latest updates doesn't require a huge amount of space. After i've fully updated my windows i remove all the junk files including the update uninstall files, this frees up quite a bit of space. I actually store my backup image on a bootable usb flashdrive, this ensures it is kept safe from harm.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I think this is the best and easiest route, considering it just takes a few minutes to restore from an image.. Next time I reformat I will repartition and make some more space for the image.

13. charincol

charincol Registered Member

I use nLite to add all current updates and then customize the install. There are numerous tweaks that can be applied before creating a new ISO that most people here would end up googling for and applying manually to the registry or through registry tweaking programs. It saves massive amounts of time.

Then, I use an imaging program to store the fresh install.

Don't limit yourself to just one method. Both can be used in conjunction with each other and are very useful and save time.

14. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

15. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Maybe you should think about investing in a USB hard drive to store images. You can unplug it when not needed and even if your disk goes belly up on you, you still have an image to restore onto a new drive and you can be up and running in no time.

16. charincol

Have you ever used nLite? It's a very easy program to use. nLite does pretty much everything this does and more (like removing unnecessary windows components without ill effects). Spending $29 for a pretty program that doesn't do as much as nLite does is rather silly.

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

What you need to look up is slipstreaming. This allows you to do most (if not all of what you need), this is not something I have done myself.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation

and this looks a good guide using nlite: http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info and helpful replies.. I have, for now, just decided to install XP and stick with it, but if I ever get back to distro hopping again, I will most likely just partition the HD as needed and do an image of my setup. Seems like the quickest way to go.

Thanks again to all...

19. charincol

nLite does slipstreaming too, and it does it a whole lot easier than manually doing it.

20. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

Take a look at Automatically Slipstream Windows XP with SP2 and All Post-SP2 Security Hotfixes with a Single Command or HFSLIP. This will take care of downloading and remastering a new CD with the updates.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista comes with user state migration tool. The previous version has been improved for Vista and is also available for XP.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks, I will look into that also, looks interesting.. For now I have done an image onto another partition, which should serve me well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.