[Release] Returnil System Safe 2011 v3.2.10100.5394-REL1

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Coldmoon, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've been a lurker on this forum for some time but a few members here may know me.

I just want to report that there may exist a bug in this release on some systems....

On my lappie, even after I've set all Returnil Virus Guard off, NOT to download any updates and "Do not collect and report any malicious activity", for some reason or another Returnil is still trying to make connections. I even tried blocking it using the host file (using a tip mentioned somewhere here) but with no effect. And it still download updates despite all of these restrictions.

As of now, since it download updates anyway, I let Returnil Virus Guard on although I'd prefer it to 'respect' my initial choice/decision:p

And yeah, I'm waiting for you guys to do something about it I have a weird habit of not posting logs so don't ask me for that please;) Others here who may face the same issue may help you guys though....

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Deactivate the automatic updates (preferences > Communications tab) and let me know if that resolves the update issue.

Mike

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

@Coldmoon: It does not solve the problem. It still tries to connect as last update attempt is two minutes ago, while I have disabled it since yesterday evening (Last successful update is yesterday date).

4. Coldmoon

There are two discussions for this report. Please see the following thread and direct your inquiries related to this subject to that thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=280540

Thanks
    Mike

5. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Mike,
    Further to the posts earlier in this thread between us regarding the RVS 2010 and RSS 2011 licensing.
    Last week my Hard Drive failed, I have installed a temporary replacement awaiting delivery of a new machine. I was able to install a bare metal back up snapshot to this HDD but that snapshot had RVS Lite 2011 on it. I uninstalled that and installed RVS 2010 intending to install RSS 2011 over the top of it to keep a licensed version on the machine.
    However, although I registered with my current license and rebooted after the reboot I had a message in the RVS 2010 message area informing me that my RVS 2010 license is no longer valid and that I need to upgrade to RSS 2011 and buy a new upgrade license for it!
    I paid £20.03 for a 2 year license on 15 Feb '10, I still have 17 months to run on that license. If I buy an upgrade license that will cost me £13.62 for 12 months. That means I will have paid a total of £33.65 for a 19 month license (7 months of the RVS 2010 license plus 12 months for the new RSS 2011 license).
    If Returnil only offered 1 year licenses it would not be so bad but what of the customer who may have recently bought a (cheaper?) 3 year license for RVS 2010 only to be informed a few weeks later when RSS 2011 was released that his nice shiny new 3 year license was invalid and that he needed to buy another license or be downgraded to the free version.
    If Returnil is going to offer 2 and 3 year licenses they need to seriously think this upgrading through. Because I bought a 2 year license and now have to upgrade after only 7 months it would have been cheaper to have bought a 1 year license in the first place. I have five multi year licenses for other security software and none have ever asked for an upgrade fee when a new and in several cases much improved version has been released. A license has been honored for the period it was bought for as it should be.
    And guess what software will not be going on my new computer :mad:

Rant over:thumbd:

6. Coldmoon

Hi DS,
    No need for a rant. With a paid subscription, we can get you sorted quickly.

The gist of the issue is that the license is assigned to your older client copy which no longer exists due to the re-install. This is to protect you and us from a stolen license and just needs a verification/reset. Just shoot a note to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with your License Number, your registered e-mail address, and the name you registered with.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.