Relationship between router firewall and Wireless?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by HJO, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJO

HJO Guest

Hi,

I was just wondering...

Is there any relationship between the NAT/SPI firewall in a router and
    wireless connection?

In other words, does NAT/SPI firewall applies to wireless connection too?

Or do I just need to make a nice password encryption for my wireless connection?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I don't know your configuration.

The NAT (firewall) in a router filters incoming traffic.
    If you have the router between your modem and your computer(s) it can be quite effective.

But it has no effect on the wireless connections, they need to be encrypted.
    WPA2/WPA-PSK AES algorithm is best for this. Although I've heard/read that may not be necessary if you do something with your MAC, but you probably shouldn't try that unless you really know what you are doing.

Don't forget to change the default password of the router and block remote access (from the internet). :)

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

NAT/SPI applies but only after the wireless signal has entered your router and has been converted from RF to Ethernet. The signal is open to interception between your laptop\tower and WAP until then.

My recommendation is to use a "nice password encryption", WPA, if your hardware supports it.

Example. I use the full 63 character mixed alpha\numeric\symbol\upper and lower case supported by my hardware.

4. ThunderZ

Good points I left out.

There is a pretty good thread somewhere in the forum from an Author I have forgotten, sorry.
    Really thinking outside the box for securing a wireless connection.

5. HJO

HJO Guest

@ Fly, ThunderZ
    Thanks.

So if I only use two laptops with wireless connections, I don't really need NAT/SPI firewall?

Thanks in advance.

6. ThunderZ

I would still use it. NAT/SPI firewall will protect the wired signal coming into your 2 laptop LAN from the Internet through your cable\DSL modem. The encryption, WPA, protects the wireless signal after leaving the router and being transmitted to your laptops from being readable by other wireless enabled devices in your area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.