REL14 - Pw protection and reg status lost upon reboot

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by user0803y11, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user0803y11

user0803y11 Registered Member

I installed RSS2011 v3.2.12918.5857-REL14 a few days ago. There are two possible bugs I've found so far:

1. If one sets the password protection, and then after one reboot of the PC it will be lost - the main GUI will be unlocked and display "Enable password protection" as if no password had ever been set.

2. Same thing happens to the registration status, which is also lost and becomes "pending" following one reboot of the PC.

Please check for the issues above.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello user0803y11 and welcome to the forums :)

1. This is not reproducible on any of my systems. I have a GUI password set and it has been retained over many build updates. Can you check your rvs3.log file for any mention of issues setting or saving configurations?

Also, make sure any other security applications you might be using at the same time are not blocking the software from saving its configurations.

2. This is also not reproducible and gives more weight to my suspicions in #1.

What other security programs are you using at the same time?

Mike

3. user0803y11

Coldmoon - Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are the steps to reproduce the issues in my first post.

1. Download RSS2011 REL14 (Free).
    2. Disconnect from the Internet.
    3. Install RSS2011. After installation, in the configuration wizard, select "Free version" in the registration step but do not fill in the boxes. In the next screen, clear the check box for quick system scan, and select "Do not collect and report any malicious activity".
    4. Reboot the PC when prompted.
    5. After reboot, change the following options in program GUI:
    (1) Preferences: Clear the check box for "Allow Remote Control" in "Communication" tab. Click OK.
    (2) In Virus Guard -> Scan, turn off "real-time protection".
    (3) In Virus Guard -> Settings, choose "Do not use advanced rules analysis", and clear the check box for "Automatically re-scan ... received". Click Apply.
    (4) In Virtual Mode -> Settings, choose "Allow programs to run normally", "Do not warn when exit from Virtual Mode". Click Apply.
    6. Now, in Virtual Mode -> Overview, check the box for "Start Virtual Mode when I start Windows", confirm when prompted.
    7. Reboot the PC.
    8. Using the link on lower edge of the GUI, fill in the details to register for the free version. Click Register.
    9. Connect to the Internet. Wait until "Registered Free version" is displayed on the GUI.
    10. Disconnect from the Internet.
    11. Enable password protection from the lower-right link on GUI, set a password and click on OK.
    12. Reboot the PC again.
    13. Now the password protection is gone, the GUI is unlocked and displays "Enable password protection". Registration status may display "pending".

Please note that all steps above may not be necessary to reproduce the issue(s).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. Coldmoon

Ah -I see a possible culprit or two:

#2. is problematic in that an internet connection is required for the registration process. The server, rather than the client determines the feature set available. In this case, you are setting up an unregistered free version which will still require the server to unlock the available feature sets for that version.

This issue is compounded by your step in #5(1) with deactivation of the remote control option. While its primary function is related directly to management in a network setting, it is also required to be active with the initial product registration; even if the ultimate registration will be unregistered.

Try registering with a throw away name and web e-mail address and then check to see if the client registers and the configurations stick. After this step, go ahead and kill the remote control option and you should be good to go UNLESS there is still an additional issue related to blocking by other security applications you are using concurrently.

Try the above first and if there is still an issue we can move this to a support ticket where we can collect some troubleshooting logs to get a better idea what is going on with your client.

Mike

5. user0803y11

Coldmoon -

In "Step 9" I connect to the Internet to let the registration complete, so I think that the server should have unlocked the available feature sets after this point.

The issue seems to be that under my Returnil configuration, if registration and/or password protection are done after enabling "Virtual Mode", they do not survive a PC reboot. I guess that in addition to the system partition, the Returnil configuration files also got reverted to their previous versions following a reboot?

Also it looks like that the two issues are separate - I tried registering it before entering "Virtual Mode", and the registration does survive reboots after entering VM; Then, in "Virtual Mode", if I enable pw protection, the password still does not stay after a reboot...

As I said some steps might not be necessary to reproduce the issues, although they are reproducible following all steps. By the way, I tried reverting to REL13 ver. 3.2.12471, and that version does not appear to have the issues.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  6. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Just an interim update. The team is investigating your report and you can expect a fix in REL 15 if they are able to reproduce the same conditions in the lab.

This does not appear to be universal so please be patient while this process is on-going.

Mike

7. BenjaminRossington

BenjaminRossington Registered Member

this appears to be what happened to me...

It all seemed fine at first, but the reboot wiped out the registration...

the difference is, in my scenario, it saved the password just not the registration... and now I can't get it to re-register again...

over 24 hours later, still not activated... ?!?!?!

arg!

8. Coldmoon

Hi BenjaminRossington,
    Please send me a PM with your Installation ID (preferences > Advanced tab) and your current License Number so I can check the server.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.