Reinstalling Outpost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rainwalker, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Been messing around w/Outpost Security Suite. Installed it with malware protection. Now I want to reinstall it, but w/malware protection. It will not let me do this as it sees latest version installed and refuses to co-operate. If I save the configuration file before completely uninstalling OP, will it contain ALL of my additions to all the settings ? E.g IP Blocklist.

2. zip

zip Registered Member

Free or paid?

3. Rainwalker

Does it make a difference and if so what would it be.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If I remember right it asks you if you want to start fresh or not in so many words during installation.:)

5. Rainwalker

As soon as it saw the latest version was installed, it had nothing further to say :( I would much prefer to install over the top, if someone would know how to bypass it's attitude and do that.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't remember the problems I had upgrading to the current version of Outpost Firewall Pro, but I tried to do a over the top, and then a clean install and couldn't do it until somebody told me to shut down my AV. Then it went as smooth as silk.

7. Rainwalker

Very much hoping to avoid a clean install. Turning off antivirus does not help. The installed version is recognized(pop-up window informing me)and OP will not install a older version nor will it install the same version over itself.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

please

try booting in safe mode pressing F5 or F8 and form there try to uninstall you got mix crap install i guess you install over another install which make software messy hope it help

9. Rainwalker

Tried that before starting thread...but thanks.

10. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

The Self-Protection of Agnitum Outpost Security Suite must be disabled before changes can be made to the
    Agnitum internal components on the hard disk drive, registry entries, running services, and so on.

Example: Installing Outpost over itself
    The option can be found under: Settings/General/Enable Self-Protection

Option Number One:

01] Disable Outpost Security Suite Self-Protection
    02] Uninstall Outpost Security Suite
    03] Reinstall Outpost Security Suite with Custom Installation void of imported backups/settings and deselecting
    the malware module from the initial installation

Option Number Two:

01] Disable Outpost Security Suite Self-Protection
    02] Disable Outpost Security Suite Real-Time Malware Protection
    03] RE-Enable Outpost Security Suite Self-Protection

During the initial installation of the Agnitum Outpost Security Suite, if no other registered malware software is
    detected, then, by default, the Malware Protection Module is installed. An Custom Installation must be selected
    during the initial installation of the Outpost Security Suite to avoid the installation of the Malware Module, and
    to exclude the Malware Module as part of the Initial Installation.

During the Initial Custom Installation of the Agnitum Outpost Security Suite, the installer will notify the presence
    of any and all registered malware software, from there, one can still choose to override the installer and install
    the malware module as part of the initial installation.

Once Outpost Security Suite is installed, electing to create an New Configuration using the Configuration Wizard,
    will not reconfigure the initial installation of the Outpost Security Suite. The New Configuration Wizard will only
    reconfigure the SETTINGS of the initially installed configuration, such as:
    policy, component security levels, application and global rules, LAN settings, execlusion lists, and so forth.

The Configuration Wizard can be found under: Settings/Configuration/New

Electing Option Number Two above to simply disable the real-time malware protection allows the malware module to
    still exist as part of the initial installation and can be used as an on-demand malware scanner that is quite
    effective. The malware deffinitions will continue to be updated regularly through the Agnitum Automatic Updates
    regardless to the status of the real-time protection setting being disabled or enabled.

HKEY1952

11. Rainwalker

" The New Configuration Wizard will only
    reconfigure the SETTINGS of the initially installed configuration, such as:
    policy, component security levels, application and global rules, LAN settings, execlusion lists, and so forth."

Do you mean the default settings when you write "initially installed configuration" ? I believe the only way to install the most recent version over the most recent version is to do a new configuration and import the various settings you have previously exported....e.g. components for Anti-Leak module,
    advertisement blocking, Ads and sites, Keywords, and IP Blocklist.....and the rest.

Thanks for taking the time to write/respond HKEY1952.

12. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

YES.....and you are welcome Rainwalker

"initially installed configuration" = All of the modules that were installed during the orginal installation of the
    Agnitum Outpost Security Suite will be reset to the Defaults when the New Configuration Wizard is run.

To re-establish the previous settings for policy, component security levels, application and global rules,
    LAN settings, execlusion lists, and so forth, one can import the exported settings from the previous configuration.
    However, note the limitation in the examples below.

Example Number One:
    The malware module was installed during the orginal installation so the malware module is an integral part of the
    orginal or initial installation of the security suite. Electing to run the New Configuration Wizard will reset the
    malware module to the Defaults until reconfigured by the client or settings for the malware module are imported from
    an previous exported configuration.
    The malware module can not be uninstalled through or by the New Configuration Wizard.

Example Number Two:
    The malware module was not installed during the orginal installation so the malware module is not an integral part
    of the orginal or initial installation of the security suite. Electing to run the New Configuration Wizard will not
    reset the malware module to the Defaults because it does not exist. Importing settings from an previously exported
    installation configuration that included the malware module will be ignored because the malware module does not exist.
    The malware module can not be installed through or by the New Configuration Wizard.

Yes, the most recent version can be re-configured over the most recent version by disabling self-protection and then
    running the New Configuration Wizard and then importing the previous exported configuration with the exceptions in
    the two examples above.

As stated in Post #1, if you want to uninstall the malware module and no longer want it to be an integral part of the
    orginal or initial installation of the Agnitum Outpost Security Suite, you need to do the following:

01] Disable self-protection
    02] Uninstall Agnitum Outpost Security Suite
    03] Reinstall Agnitum Outpost Security Suite electing custom install and deselect the malware module

You can import the settings from the previous exported installation configuration, but I do not recommend this, I
    prefer starting fresh. If/when you do import the configuration settings, disable self-protection first.

I personally would not remove the malware module. I would elect to disable the real-time protection and use it as
    an on-demand scanner, it is quite effective.

EDIT: spelling

HKEY1952

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.